Eraser 6-rc4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel

Hello,

I'm glad to announce the release of Eraser 6 Release Candidate 4. It contains fixes found during testing, mainly centred on usability.

Read the full announcement and download it from there.

Joel

Must fire up a VM and give i a spin, been back living in an OpenBSD world for a while, a bit out of touch with erasers progress. Good Work Joel et all.

Every part of Eraser needs .NET 3.5 so it is an installation prerequisite. Before the Eraser MSI runs the bootstrapper will ensure that your system has got .NET 3.5.

Joel

Does version 6 support UTF-8 or unicode in filenames? I can't find this in the changelog. Thank you.

I haven't been keeping up with Eraser development for a while. So, I see that v6 is in the RC stage now. The announcement says that FAT erasures are not supported... does this mean all erase operations on FAT drives are unsupported, or only erasure of unused entries in the FAT itself? Do you think it'll be implemented someday in the future?

BTW, if it's only the unused FAT entries that are difficult to deal with, just a thought... FAT filesystems have a maximum number of files supported due to the fixed size of the FAT, right? I'm not a programmer, but do you think you could erase the unused entries by filling the drive with files until Windows throws an error while trying to allocate one?

Has v6 had any testing/development on the exFAT filesystem which MS is pushing (kind of) as a replacement for FAT12/16/32?

anson5 said:
Does version 6 support UTF-8 or unicode in filenames? I can't find this in the changelog. Thank you.
Yes it is now supported. This is one of the most major improvements over v5. And the interface can also be localised now (currently only English available, 50% complete Dutch translation packaged)

xx521xx said:
I haven't been keeping up with Eraser development for a while. So, I see that v6 is in the RC stage now. The announcement says that FAT erasures are not supported... does this mean all erase operations on FAT drives are unsupported, or only erasure of unused entries in the FAT itself? Do you think it'll be implemented someday in the future?
Only the FAT clean up thing which erases the old entries are not supported. This should be available in rc5 for public testing (it's an algorithm I devised based on the FAT structures)

xx521xx said:
BTW, if it's only the unused FAT entries that are difficult to deal with, just a thought... FAT filesystems have a maximum number of files supported due to the fixed size of the FAT, right? I'm not a programmer, but do you think you could erase the unused entries by filling the drive with files until Windows throws an error while trying to allocate one?
It's a little more complex than that... haha.

xx521xx said:
Has v6 had any testing/development on the exFAT filesystem which MS is pushing (kind of) as a replacement for FAT12/16/32?
Hmm no I don't use exFAT. Would you like to try it?

Regards,
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back