Eraser as the Default Deleting Agent in Windows

xcutor

Hi,
One thing that I would like to implement is making Eraser the default deleting agent in Windows XP. In other words, I would like to have files erased by Eraser when the user hits the delete key. Thus, the Windows Recycle Bin and default delete would have to be bypassed. Is there any way to do this?

Erm, are you sure about that? I mean, it's good to erase certain sensitive files, but not being able to recover files sometimes can be a bit of a disaster. I mean, I really do not know of any PC user who would really need to erase *everything*, even if they were a p0rno monger or warez-head.

But still, each to their own I guess... :roll:

Intercepting the delete function of windows will completly grind the system to a halt as all those tempfiles that get created etc will suck up your resources.

What I think you are trying to do is replace keys with hotkets I did this with another product see http://www.helloeuro.com That product works by detecting the application under the cursor. There is quite a lot of code involved as you will have to retrieve what is selected etc

An alternative solution would be to create a custom explorer replacing that in windows. Is this more like what you require?

Garrett

xcutor said:
Hi,
One thing that I would like to implement is making Eraser the default deleting agent in Windows XP. In other words, I would like to have files erased by Eraser when the user hits the delete key. Thus, the Windows Recycle Bin and default delete would have to be bypassed. Is there any way to do this?

might be asking for trouble here- you'd probably have to do some fairly intense registry surgery. Perhaps make a batch file and just drop files on it that you want to have disappear. or just rightclick erasing recycle bin more often- or even wipe free space religiously and don't have deleted items ever hit the recycle bin. some thoughts anyways... HTH!

Thanks for the replies. This seems to be more involved than I previously thought. I'm trying to make Eraser more automatic so that it requires less user intervention. Another idea I had was to have Eraser poll the recycle bin every so often and erase any files present. Any thoughts about this? Thanks

Actually in the case of "sensitive files", it's always best not to have them sent to the recycle bin in the first instance, always erase them on-the-spot, so to speak. Any other less sensitive files, well maybe, but you will still have to do the free-space wipe after deleting them to the recycle bin, as they will remain in their original location. Maybe that's why you want the option to erase when using the delete key, maybe not.

Back