Eraser corrupted system

ziegenpeter

Hi there,

I ran Eraser 5.8.7 on Windows XP (Service Pack 3) in delete-unused-space-mode for drive c: and it corrupted a couple of programs (like MS Word, Nero, Gimp and others) which didn't work properly or didn't work at all after processing. No other processes than Eraser were running, even no antivirus software.

I had to rebuild the whole system :evil:

Did I do anything wrong?

Did you happen to run a first/last 2kb erase? There's a known bug where the file system is damaged (set to RAW) upon the erasure of a sparse file.

The how to solve it ?

I use eraserportable 5.8.7 in about 30 pc.
it have 3 pc broken
when I start in windows xp have a [explorer.exe] problem
I must reinstall system.

and have 2 pc something problem
it like when I type word , the system crash.

IF I use eraser on windows safe mode , it will be better ?

If your system is already damaged then there's nothing we can do, unfortunately. Which reminds me, I should release the beta as a stable since this bug is pretty severe.

Joel said:
Did you happen to run a first/last 2kb erase? There's a known bug where the file system is damaged (set to RAW) upon the erasure of a sparse file.

I don't remember. Where is that option anyway? I can't find it in preferences-settings.

It's in Erasure Settings.

This is found in the Eraser Erasing Preferences dialog:

This can be found in your Scheduler as well, when editing or creating a new task.

Attachments

• Task Properties.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 824
  • Preferences Erasing.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 824
OK, sorry, I had Eraser 5.7 installed, that's why I didn't find it. Anyway, when it corrupted my system I used Version 5.8 and as far I as remember I chose 'Pseudorandom Data'. At least I'm sure that I did not use 'Only first and last 2 KB'.

There are many 5.8 releases and I do remember that the earlier ones had a few corruption problems. The later ones should be fine.

Back