Eraser Crash, Windows 7

megatick

I upgraded to 6.0.7.1893 some time ago and it immediately stopped working, crashing as soon as it started. I uninstalled it and installed an earlier version but that was not successful so I just installed the latest version a second time and it fails in the same way. Starting Eraser as an app it just fails. As a shell extension I get a message "Unable to acquire a cryptographic service provider". I have a screenshot but cannot attach it here so will email it if required.

Pete Tedder

While I haven't myself seen this error message (which might or might not point to the cause of the problem), there's a good chance that an original faulty install is still blocking the correct installation of the program. Please fully uninstall Eraser, and remove all residual traces you can find (details on how to do this are in the FAQ). In particular, make sure that you delete the task list (Task List.ersx). Then re-download the program and try again. If that doesn't work, we shall at least have eliminated some of the more obvious causes.

David

VERY FEW people have reported this (you're probably the second or third) and there should be a fix in trunk. Please get a nightly build (the 6.0 branch) and see if it fixes your problem.

Thanks.

Personally, I'd still clear out the previous installs as a precautionary measure before reinstalling.

David

I too have a crash problem with windows 7, but mine is that eraser will not work on single files, especially while clearing files from Limewire p2p, it tends to do 1 or 2 in other file types, but then goes back to telling me eraser has stopped working and wants to close down. as eraser till now has been the bees knees of erasing files, I would like to get it back to working the way one would expect it to, so is there anyone out there, or at Heidi support who can tell me how to put this problem to bed for once and for all? thank you Oilpainter. :?

Try a nightly build, join the beta testers forum, enable crash reporting, create the crash, submit the report, and I'll take it from there.

P/s for problems which are different from the OP PLEASE start a new thread.

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I had 6.1 installed and to start with it worked fine both on a Win 7 machine and an XP one. Suddenly I started to see a problem reported elsewhere on this board - instant "completed with errors" when I set it to erase unused disk space. So I have uninstalled v6.1 and tried to install v6.0 but it immediately crashes when I run the programme.

Any thoughts?

A

If you are still using 6.0.7, the advice from Joel is that you switch to the latest 6.1 build (2276, I think). There is a related bug that has been fixed, but the last information from Joel that the fix, for whatever reason, will not be back ported to 6.0.8, which is the forthcoming service release.

David

AlanN said:
Hi,

I have a similar problem. I had 6.1 installed and to start with it worked fine both on a Win 7 machine and an XP one. Suddenly I started to see a problem reported elsewhere on this board - instant "completed with errors" when I set it to erase unused disk space. So I have uninstalled v6.1 and tried to install v6.0 but it immediately crashes when I run the programme.

Any thoughts?

A
I think you should have posted the task log. That usually gives a clue. To use the 6.0 stable builds you'll need to delete Task List.ersx, and delete the HKCU\Software\Eraser\Eraser 6 key.

Back