eraser crashed

JFF

I'm not sure where to post this so I appologize if this is the wrong place.

I don't think I did anything wrong, but.... Anyway, I wanted to report a crash in case it sheds light on something. if it has no value, that's OK too I guess, but it makes me wonder how many of my old drives I can erase depending on the technology.

I found a really old disk in my disk junk drawer and I decided to erase it.. This is a WD 2.5GB caviar 32500 drive from the late 90's I think.. Perhaps it's too old to work with the software, I reallydon't know. It was taking a very long time to work though (sure the disk is slow, but 2.5 GB is not a lot of space to go through).

Anyway, here's some of the data that my Win7 X64 kicked back when it crashed (from the standard crash screen asking what you want to do)...

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Eraser.exe
Application Version: 6.0.8.2273
Application Timestamp: 4cd2be16
Fault Module Name: mscorwks.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.0.50727.4952
Fault Module Timestamp: 4bebe78c
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000001c22e1
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

I don't know how you were trying to erase it, but I would normally quick format it first, then (if I had doubts about the drive) run a disk check to be on the safe side, before trying to erase the free space.

Your crash may be unrelated to the drive. Is Eraser otherwise working normally?

David

If you wish to provide more data, you could install 6.2 nightlies and enable BlackBox which will gather at least a stack trace and a memory dump. We can first work on the stack trace, if that doesn't shed light then we can go for the memory dump.

The Windows crash dialog is quite useless, unfortunately, for .NET applications, which is what Eraser 6 is written with.

thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately, in doing some experimenting, it seems like I can make it crash.

First, I'm a new user without much experience/history with the product, but Eraser seems to be OK when I select a small'ish single file/folder. If the crash is unrelated, I can't tell. The box has MS office, Adobe CS5 full suite, WAMP, MS VS-2008/SQL server, and not much else on it.

Anyway, here's what i was doing this time, which might make you guys scream "You shouldn't DO that!!!!". :oops: :oops: :oops:

OK, here goes...

1) Erasing a FOLDER (approx 21GB) on a USB hard drive and it was, and had been for quite a while, chugging away....

2) Using the windows explorer extension, I R-clicked on a folder on my desktop and selected erase.. no response, no nothing... I thought the task might have gotten lost, (my machine probably needs to be rebooted), so I.....

3) Opened the desktop folder I had just selected for erasure, highlighted the files, and again, selected Erase from the R-click option...

The OS popped up a window telling me the task had been scheduled, and I then opened the system tray to see what was available regarding messages, etc. (task manager was already open)

Next, Eraser crashed... (same dump, same info, so yes, the .net info is of no help).

Environment - Win7 x64 (up to date)

If I have some time to try the nightlies I will. I think I'll try to behave in the meantime. I don't want to make you guys crazy with the devel and/or builds, I'm just passing along a little QA info... :lol:

Has any of the folder in question actually been erased before the crash? And have you run the disk checker on the drive in question? Crashes of this kind can be caused by errors in the file system

David

JFF said:
If I have some time to try the nightlies I will. I think I'll try to behave in the meantime. I don't want to make you guys crazy with the devel and/or builds, I'm just passing along a little QA info... :lol:
Don't worry: actually, installing devel builds help us more as we have the code to reference. I think, the trouble is worth it if the problem can be fixed for you.

Back