Eraser Crashes Everytime I Attempt To Erase Cluster Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

jholcomb

I'm running Windows XP.

I've done a disc repair.

I've defragged.

Every time I attempt to run Eraser on Unused Disc Space it locks up and crashes at 14%.

It works fine if I chose just "Free Disc Space" or "Directory Entries", it just crashes when attempting to overwrite Cluster Tip Areas.

I just did it and got this Error Signature:

EVENT TYPE: BEX P1: explore.exe P2: 6.0.2900.3156 P3: 466fc588
P4: Eraser.dll P5: 5.8.4.0 P6: 46abaebc P7: 0001b894
P8: c0000409 P9: 00000000

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi jholcomb

Can you list the running software on your computer please ?

Also try running Eraser in safe mode just as a test, then post the results back and we can narrow the problem down.

Hi,

Just tried running in Safe Mode, got the EXACT same results as above.

Software running would be AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 (Just added a few days ago, Eraser was acting up before this program was installed). Also AVG Free Anti-Virus 7.5.488.
There is also an icon for Apple Quick Time in my tray as well.

Also need to specify I'm running XP PRO.

Thanks.

Just tried running in Safe Mode, got the EXACT same results as above.

Oh dear, :? I was rather hoping a running program was causing the problem. Can we just check a couple of other things ?

Have you ever had Norton’s installed ?

Are you certain that your hard drive is in good condition ?

What version of Eraser do you have installed ?

Have you tried re-installing Eraser ?

Oh dear, :? I was rather hoping a running program was causing the problem. Can we just check a couple of other things ?

Have you ever had Norton’s installed ?
No, there's never been any Norton product installed on this computer.

Are you certain that your hard drive is in good condition ?
I've had the computer for about a year and have never had any issues with the hard drive or any other program that I know of before.

What version of Eraser do you have installed ?

Have you tried re-installing Eraser?
Yes, several times. The same thing happens every time.

Hi jholcomb

I am really not sure what is going wrong ! :(

Just as one last test how about uninstalling 5.84 and try 5.7.

Overwriter said:
Just as one last test how about uninstalling 5.84 and try 5.7.

I did, and I got a complete pass.

Only trouble is, it says it failed to erase some sections, what's that all about? I know some were Win32 extensions.

Hi jholcomb :)

I did, and I got a complete pass.

Hmmm that’s interesting isn’t it ! So it is just when using 5.8 that you experience problems. Well that should help narrow things down a bit.

I am hoping that Garrett will read this thread as he is the best person to ask about this. I guess he will want to know more details from you so he can work it out. Please stick with this problem so Eraser can be improved for others.

Only trouble is, it says it failed to erase some sections, what's that all about? I know some were Win32 extensions.

That’s quite normal and nothing to worry about. All it means is there are some system protected files that Eraser couldn’t erase. All versions of Eraser throw up those errors and it is to be expected as this is due to XP locking those files. Your privacy is not compromised by this.

5.7 will give you the same sort of privacy protection as 5.84 so you can at least use that until a later version is released. However you may want to set the default 35 pass to 1 single random pass.

I am sorry you have experienced this problem and please don’t be put off Eraser because of it. What worries me is that there are many people using 5.8 with no problems so I wonder why yours is failing.

Just had one last thought !

Had you been using 5.7 before upgrading to 5.84 ?

When you installed 5.84 had you previously been running 5.7 ?
If so did you completely remove all of 5.7 before installing 5.84 ?

Overwriter said:
Just had one last thought !

Had you been using 5.7 before upgrading to 5.84 ?

When you installed 5.84 had you previously been running 5.7 ?
If so did you completely remove all of 5.7 before installing 5.84 ?

No, the only version I had downloaded and installed before was 5.84.

HOWEVER, I was wrong about something I said earlier. Apparently my computer HAD when new a Norton Anti-Virus program (this is a work computer that was set up by our tech before issued to me) that was uninstalled. I know this because I saw Norton file names while Eraser was working.

Hi jholcomb

I doubt that the disabled or uninstalled Norton’s is causing this problem. I only asked because a few other Eraser users are having problems with Norton’s but their version of Nortons is running at the time of the fault.

All I can suggest now is that you continue to use 5.7 until a new release of Eraser.

5.7 is equally secure as 5.84 it is just that there will be a few features missing that’s all. At least you can clean your disks for now.

You need Garrett (admin) to take a look at this thread as he is the main if not only programmer of Eraser. He is busy though, but he does seem to read most threads here.

I hope you stick with this problem jholcomb as I am sure you will think it is worth it when you get the latest version of Eraser working !

I will also keep an eye on this thread and if I can think of anything else I will write back. If in the meantime you manage to fix it yourself could you please post back the answer to this problem to help other Eraser users in the future, thanks.

Overwriter said:
I hope you stick with this problem jholcomb as I am sure you will think it is worth it when you get the latest version of Eraser working !

I will also keep an eye on this thread and if I can think of anything else I will write back. If in the meantime you manage to fix it yourself could you please post back the answer to this problem to help other Eraser users in the future, thanks.

I will try the next edition when it is released and get back with you then. Thanks for your help!

Hi jholcomb

Apparently there is a possible bug with Eraser and Joel thinks he has found a fix for it.

You can read about it here.

I am not sure how long this fix (if confirmed) will take to be released though.

Keep checking back !

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back