Eraser functions ?

axelg

All,

I discovered Eraser as I'm searching for a tool to remove all data securely from my HD.

This because I have to return the PC to my company. I now want to make sure nothing from personal data is left on it.

Problem is that I already deleted most (all) of the files the normal way.

So, my question is the following: Is there a way to completely clean/erase my hard drive without deleting what is currently left on the disk. (now windows is of course there, the installed programs and some company related files.)
So basically I want to clean the unused disk space)

I hope my question is clear.

Many thanks for quick response.

Yes. You erase the free space on the drive. If you are running Vista or Windows 7, you will very probably need to run the program as administrator. If the drive you are erasing the free space on is the system drive (C:), you are probably better off disabling the option to erase cluster tips; for your intended purpose, this is unlikely to be a security problem.

I strongly suggest that you read the piece in FAQ on getting to know Eraser, which explains the basics of these things. Unfortunately, the aspect of Eraser 6.0.7 that needed most work is erasing free space on a system drive, which can be a bit unpredictable. If you encounter problems, there is another piece in FAQ which deals with common problems, and you may well find a solution there.

David

Back