Eraser has stopped working error

djevanstn

- ERASER simply doesn't work on this machine (or a couple of others for that matter)

- I do a straight forward install, it has never run, only giving the error "Eraser has stopped working"

- I've read the FAQ's

- I don't have a file on any drive that has "Task List.ersx"

- for that matter, the directories don't "seem" to be the same as mentioned

- I've installed as ADMIN and run it as ADMIN with no change

- at no time has it run on this machine, always giving me the error at startup

- I don't have registry (regedit) entries either - I have un-installed and re-installed many times

- No other program has the slightest "hiccup" - they simply install and run nominally

- I have no idea what to try next - it used to be a great program on the older machines, but I can't work with customer data on this machine unless I can thoroughly erase

- Any ideas to try would certainly be appreciated... Other than some user solution, I guess we wait for the next release version (which isn't a great solution for me)

This is a rather long thread, but do the exception messages tally with what you see?

If so, unfortunately I do not know what is the root cause apart from the fact that the Crypto API is not implemented like most systems are. Eraser 6.0 uses the Crypto API as a source of entropy, so the dependency is there. If you consider yourself a power user, you can try using the latest 6.2 build, which does not depend on the Crypto API. The usual beta disclaimers apply, though, and you may like to report bugs on the Beta forum (see the sticky posts in this forum on how to)

Joel said:
This is a rather long thread, but do the exception messages tally with what you see?

If so, unfortunately I do not know what is the root cause apart from the fact that the Crypto API is not implemented like most systems are. Eraser 6.0 uses the Crypto API as a source of entropy, so the dependency is there. If you consider yourself a power user, you can try using the latest 6.2 build, which does not depend on the Crypto API. The usual beta disclaimers apply, though, and you may like to report bugs on the Beta forum (see the sticky posts in this forum on how to)

Hey Joel . . .

- I did install 6.2
- it (the program 6.2) ran only once after a couple of re-installs
- now it at least starts, but I get continuous errors when I try to erase "deleted area on drive"
- the error it that it "completed, but with errors"
- I installed and am running the program as ADMIN
- log reports "permission issues"
- I have deleted the task list (it was there after the first (and only) successful run)
- I have installed and re-installed 6.2 with no difference
- I manually cleaned any remaining references to the program from the registry and will re-install in a few minutes
- IF it matters, I'm running Win7 Ultimate

Joel . . .

I removed 6.2 again. I then removed all references to Eraser in the registry and re-installed. I have no idea why, but, 6.2 now "appears" to be running nominally at the moment.

I do appreciate you taking the time to reply and for being available.

Don . . .

The permissions error associated with the unused space erase is documented here. In the final versions of 6.2 I hope that we won't be needing that FAQ entry any more.

Back