Eraser Launches on Windows Startup

DERoss

Windows XP SP3
Eraser 6.0.10. 2620

Recently, Eraser has launched when a reboot or boot-up Windows. This delays the completion of booting. I think this started after installing the most recent Windows XP updates. In Eraser's Settings, I unchecked the checkbox for "Integrate Eraser into Windows Explorer" because that capability does not provide a user confirmation prior to running.

How can I stop Eraser from launching at boot? I have searched my Windows XP registry, but I do not see anything obvious that indicates "launch-on-boot" for Eraser.

I solved the problem by downloading Autoruns.zip from http://download.sysinternals.com/files/Autoruns.zip (a Microsoft-sponsored site). I extracted autoruns.exe from the ZIP file and executed it, which allowed me to turn off the automatic launch of Eraser.

While I strongly suspect the problem was actually caused by a recent Windows XP update, I still think Eraser needs a user option to enable or disable automatic launching.

DERoss said:
I solved the problem by downloading Autoruns.zip from http://download.sysinternals.com/files/Autoruns.zip (a Microsoft-sponsored site). I extracted autoruns.exe from the ZIP file and executed it, which allowed me to turn off the automatic launch of Eraser.

While I strongly suspect the problem was actually caused by a recent Windows XP update, I still think Eraser needs a user option to enable or disable automatic launching.

Hi DERoss,

I don't want Eraser to start when I boot my PC so I downloaded "Autoruns" but don't understand how to disable automatic launch. I think that it's in the "Logon" section but just not sure and how it's done. Would really appreciate if you can explain how it is done. Thanks, George from Humacao Puerto Rico.

PS: please excuse my English in case I say something that doesn't sound correct, it's my second language

melen001 said:
DERoss said:

Hi DERoss,

I don't want Eraser to start when I boot my PC so I downloaded "Autoruns" but don't understand how to disable automatic launch. I think that it's in the "Logon" section but just not sure and how it's done. Would really appreciate if you can explain how it is done. Thanks, George from Humacao Puerto Rico.

I have a better idea. Just run in "search programs" "msconfig" and click on Start-up and you will see Eraser and just disable start-up by removing check mark (unclick) and apply and ok and that's it. You are done.
PS: please excuse my English in case I say something that doesn't sound correct, it's my second language

Back