Eraser not in menus

DaveDone2

Hi All,

I recently installed Eraser on a recommendation from a friend. I just went to empty the recycle bin and there is no "Erase" option there, just the normal old "Empty re..."

I reinstalled and it still does not show up. It is also not in Explorer right click menu.

In the "Settings' option I have it checked for Explorer and during the set up I included the complete Shell option.

Suggestions please.

Thanks

Dave

Which architecture of Windows are you using?

Hi,

Vista x86 Home Premium.

I can open Eraser from the Desktop icon or the System Tray and then select Add Data and click the Recycle bin.

Dave

This thread relates to Windows 7, but I'd expect the advice on Vista to be similar.

David

Thanks David,

I tried all of those. I uninstalled and re-installed and still no menu item for Eraser.

Here's the Dependency Walker

Attachments

• ERASER.JPG
    ERASER.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 754
Joel is more of an expert than I on this, but it looks as though elements of your visual C++ runtime are missing, corrupt or outdated versions; some other install has probably done this. You could try searching for the files, downloading and replacing them individually, but that will not fix any other damage that might have been done. Joel's advice is to download the runtime from here, install it, then immediately uninstall it and install it again. That, hopefully, will ensure that any bad or missing components are dealt with.

David

Thanks David,

I did that yesterday but I just did it again
Repair C++ redist
Uninstall C++ redist
Install c++ redist
reboot
uninstall Eraser
install eraser
reboot

Still the same. I have the desktop icon and one in the system tray but nothing on the Explorer right-click or the Recycle bin right-click.

I guess I have to look for something else or go back to an earlier version from a back up. I have been using Eraser for a long time, (I even donated twice) I can't remember the first version I started out with, may have been about 3.xx but these latest incarnations seem to have lost their way.

Try googling for the files that give Dependency Walker errors, and replacing those that you find on your system (typically in the winsxs folder/repository, I think). Beyond that, I defer to Joel.

The latest version is a complete re-write, for reasons that are fully explained in the FAQ. The fact that both the files which are creating your problem are Microsoft files which are, in effect, components of Windows, should make it clear that this is not, at root, an Eraser issue. Eraser 5 was similarly dependent on runtime files and did on occasion suffer as a result of the same issue. So do many other applications.

David

Thanks David,

It may be Microsoft files causing the issues but that's like saying GM is responsible for injuries in a car accident because they made the car.

The annoying thing is the previous version was working fine but I don't recall if that was 6 or 5. I foolishly uploaded and installed the 6.0.7 and now it does not work. I accept what you say about searching for files but I shouldn't have to. The installer should be taking care of all that. I too am a programmer so I know a little of what I speak.

I will try and find the last working version I had installed. It may be in a back up image if I have one that far back.

DaveDone2 said:
It may be Microsoft files causing the issues but that's like saying GM is responsible for injuries in a car accident because they made the car.
Not really. In that case, the underlying cause is (typically) driver error. It's really more like saying that an aircraft operator has a reasonable expectation that the runway and landing aids are fit for use, and, in the vast majority of cases, they are. It is not unreasonable for the Eraser team (or those who write any app) to expect that the runtime (which, for all practical purposes, is part of the OS) is properly installed. The fact that it sometimes breaks in ways that are difficult to diagnose and repair, is, in my book, down to Microsoft.

DaveDone2 said:
I accept what you say about searching for files but I shouldn't have to. The installer should be taking care of all that. I too am a programmer so I know a little of what I speak.
This is a fair point, but the installer in question is that for the runtime, rather than for Eraser.

DaveDone2 said:
I will try and find the last working version I had installed. It may be in a back up image if I have one that far back.
Personally, I'd fully uninstall Eraser and remove all traces (you clearly know how). Then I'd download and install (from the Eraser files page on SourceForge), the last release of Version 5 (5.88), and see if that works. It's entirely different code from Version 6.

David

Hi David,

I will leave the philosophical argument. :)

I am ahead of you as yesterday evening I did exactly what you suggested. I used Revo to remove all traces of Erase and the C++ run times. I checked the Registry, msconfig and folders to make sure it was all gone. I downloaded 5.8 from Sourceforge and installed.

That showed "Eraser" in the Recycle bin menu but not in Explorer. I moved some files to the Recycle Bin and selected "Erase" from the menu and I got a "The Recycle bin is empty" notice, I checked and clearly was not empty. At that point I gave up on Eraser and used Revo again to uninstall.

This morning I was greeted with a real mess. Obviously something set a request for chkdsk at start up this morning. It found dozens of corrupted file segments. I have no way of knowing if it was Eraser or not, but that was the only thing I did yesterday that was out of the ordinary. Does not look good.

Anyway, I let chkdsk finish then shut down and booted to safe mode and restored to a point a few days back. I am using an older PC while I wait for the restore to finish. Looks like a fond farewell to Eraser from me.

It actually sounds like your disk had issues before you started experimenting with Eraser; I suspect that subsequent actions will probably not have made things any worse. Also, in my experience, chkdsk does a good job of repairing the file system, probably because it has a a lot of built-in redundancy.

I understand why you feel a bit sore at Eraser, but, to be honest, I think that in your case Eraser was the messenger and not the message.

David

Back