EraserL from 32 bit prompt

substream

Hi there. Quick question: Will EraserL (the command line version of eraser 5.xx or whatever) not run from a 32-bit command prompt?
I'm using Windows 7 x64 and it took me like an hour last night to figure out that it will run perfectly from a 64 bit prompt, but not from a 32 bit one, and it doesn't seem possible to use a 32 bit prompt to launch a 64 bit prompt either.
Thanks

It should launch from a 32-bit prompt just fine. Could you detail your OS and general system configuration for me as well as how you arrived at this conclusion (i.e. steps to reproduce the error)

Hi Joel. Thanks for the quick reply.
Of course: I'm using an ASUS N61-VNA2 laptop with the following specs:
- Intel Core2Quad Q9000 CPU @ 2.0GHz
- 4GB DDR3 RAM
- Windows 7 Professional, Build 7600, fully updated

This is how I finally figured out what the situation was:
I found two different versions of the windows command prompt (CMD.exe) on the computer; a 32-bit and a 64-bit version. The 32-bit version is located at C:\Windows\SysWOW64, and the 64-bit version is located at C:\Windows\System32. If I open the CMD.exe from SysWOW64 and check Task Manager, it appears in the process list as "cmd.exe *32" whereas if I open the one from System32, it shows as simply "cmd.exe," supporting this fact.
Now, if I open a 64-bit prompt and navigate to C:\Program Files\Eraser and run eraserl.exe, it works like a charm. I have batch files that use it, no problem. But if I open a 32-bit prompt, navigate to C:\Program Files\Eraser, and try running eraserl.exe, I get the error:
Code:
'eraserl.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Specifically, what I'm trying to do involves several concurrent batch files. They do various things, and each one opens the next one, then closes. At one step in this process, a program is launched that takes over for a while. When it's finished, it launches the next batch file. It's all fine and well up to that point, because it's a 32-bit program, and therefore launches a 32-bit CMD prompt for the batch file to run in.
I've tried a couple of things, like having that batch file navigate straight to C:\WINDOWS\System32 and running CMD from there, and running it from there using the "start" function, but no matter what I try, the "child" CMD environment is always 32-bit when launched from another 32-bit environment.

Hah that was pretty detailed... let me know if you need any more info. Thank you :)

Disclaimer: Eraser 5 on Windows 7 is not a supported configuration.

That's because eraserL is stored in C:\Windows\System32. You'll need to store the full path. When 32-bit cmd runs the System32 directory is the physical SYSWOW64 directory so it won't be able to find eraserL.

Awesome, so I just copied eraserl.exe to SysWOW64 and it works like a charm. Thanks :)

Let me ask you, how does eraserl.exe ever run from C:\Program Files\Eraser at all if it isn't even in there? That had be baffled.

It doesn't. It's the PATH variable which checks System32.

EraserL from 32 bit prompt/ missing eraserl.exe

Hi, I need some help. I don't have eraserl.exe anywhere in my computer ,It's a windows xp home. I searched C:\Windows\System32 , not there,I searched the whole computer not there.I tried to search the internet to download missing program but can't find anywhere to get it.Question do you know where I could download eraserl.exe ,not another eraser program,or could someone copy it & email it to me,,thanks.Pm me If you want my email addresses. :D

Re: EraserL from 32 bit prompt/ missing eraserl.exe

bluerider said:
Hi, I need some help. I don't have eraserl.exe anywhere in my computer ,It's a windows xp home. I searched C:\Windows\System32 , not there,I searched the whole computer not there.I tried to search the internet to download missing program but can't find anywhere to get it.Question do you know where I could download eraserl.exe ,not another eraser program,or could someone copy it & email it to me,,thanks.Pm me If you want my email addresses. :D
Which version of Eraser are you using? Eraser 6 does not, as yet, have any equivalent of eraserl.exe.

David

Back