erasing a directory containing deleted files

crassius

I have a situation in which sensitive data is placed in a temp file while being viewed, and is automatically deleted when the viewer is closed. Will applying Eraser to the directory containing the deleted file render that file unrecoverable/unreadable?

Current workarounds are to drop power on the machine while the viewer is running, thus leaving the temp file undeleted to be erased at next boot, or to erase all unused disk space (a large amount) several times a day to clear the deleted file. A third option (untried at this time) would be to fill the unused space with dummy files to make the task run more quickly, but this could lead to problems of needing to regain the space during periods of greater data usage.

I've finally decided to ask the experts to see if I am going through unnecessary procedures, because unknown to me, the file is in fact being handled properly by an erase of the containing directory.

any thoughts, advice welcome

crassius said:
Current workarounds are to drop power on the machine while the viewer is running, thus leaving the temp file undeleted to be erased at next boot
A safer alternative will be to end the process of the viewer.
crassius said:
or to erase all unused disk space (a large amount) several times a day to clear the deleted file.
That'll be the alternative yes.
crassius said:
A third option (untried at this time) would be to fill the unused space with dummy files to make the task run more quickly, but this could lead to problems of needing to regain the space during periods of greater data usage.
Create large dummy files say 100mb each and delete as space is needed, probably?

thank you for the advice - I understand that this isn't an Eraser problem, but was hoping the situation might have come up before and perhaps I was missing a simple solution

lacking a better idea soon, I expect I'll need to find a way to replace the application that handles the data, or install a very small drive as workspace

Back