Erasing files on a CD

A

Anonymous

I backup my Quicken files on a CD-R and when full need to dispose of the CD-R. I'm looking for software that will erase the CD-R (and sometimes CD-RW) completely.
Will Eraser do this? I know the answer is probably in the Help files, but I don't want to download the software if it won't do what I need it to do (new computer - want to keep it as clean as possible).
Many thanks!

I believe Eraser was designed to remove magnetic data only. As far as installing it on a new PC I would do it!! (What a great way to keep it clean from now on.) The best way to remove data from your CD is to use fire and gasoline. (Sorry, just being funny.)

Guest said:
I backup my Quicken files on a CD-R and when full need to dispose of the CD-R. I'm looking for software that will erase the CD-R (and sometimes CD-RW) completely.
Will Eraser do this? I know the answer is probably in the Help files, but I don't want to download the software if it won't do what I need it to do (new computer - want to keep it as clean as possible).
Many thanks!

As for as i knowyou have to "TOSS" the CD unless you use a CD-ReWriteable, although i recently while experiencing with RealOnePlayer Beta10 witnessed it erase a CD-R completely by accident i suppose, but their normally confined to being written to not ERASED!

Anonymous said:
you cannot use Eraser even on a CD-RW.

Wrong!
You can use Eraser on a CD-RW, however you only need to use one pass, as only magnetic media needs multiple passes. You can't use Eraser on CD-R, as they write protect themselves after the first write. The only way to secure a CD-R is to destroy it and then melt down the pieces.

If you see a CD-R, that has been 'erased / deleted ' more likely then not, just the file directory on the CD was changed, and the data still remains on the CD.

"Wrong!
You can use Eraser on a CD-RW, however you only need to use one pass, as only magnetic media needs multiple passes. You can't use Eraser on CD-R, as they write protect themselves after the first write. The only way to secure a CD-R is to destroy it and then melt down the pieces.

If you see a CD-R, that has been 'erased / deleted ' more likely then not, just the file directory on the CD was changed, and the data still remains on the CD."

actually your wrong! have you ever even tryed it, or ar you talking out your ass? i bet you just assume you can because its RW. next time actually TRY it 1st before you speak. because Eraser doesnt even "see" CD/DVD drives.

Yes I have tryed it and yes it does see my CD drive the only drives that it has a problem with, are CD/DVD combo drives and strait DVD drives.

CD-RW

not sure who is correct but I have tried it numerous times. No, the context menu does not give "erase" as an option when selecting the drive where the CD-RW is but you can go into that drive and attempt it. Also, if you actually open the program it does allow you to *select* that particular drive. However, every time I have tried it it will tell me that access is denied. I tried deleting individual files contained on the CD-RW and access is denied. I have changed the properties unselecting "read only" and attempted to erase. It still simply wont work. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Most CD writer/burning programs have options to 'quick' erase and 'full' erase CD RWS. The 'full' erase will be what you want, everything on the CD will be gone for good, like new.

I've noticed some CD RWs cannot be read and erased by eraser. Normally, just get Nero or some other similar burning software and use the 'Full Erase' option, afterall, the software is made for CDs unlike Eraser.

CD Rs cannot be erased. Burn it and melt it down if it is such a bother to you.

Back