Erasing free space fails, due to bad random file names

rjo98

On a XP computer, I've tried to do a wipe free space a couple times, usually I let it run overnight and it's BSOD'd when i wake up in the morning. Today I tried another one and decided to watch it. it did all the cluster tip areas, then filled up my hard drive, but when it got to the point of where it should erase the temp folder and files it creates, it sat there for a couple hours, not progressing, and I couldn't even get it to show me a status by double-clicking the task name (just said querying). I attempted to cancel the task which it didn't so i just exited Eraser which worked for some reason.

Anyway, when I went into the folder and sorted the files by size in increasing order, I was able to erase the first couple manually. then i got to a file named ,y)NaBafg}r3l6CeXo, and when i try to do that manually, i get a pop-up that says unknown parameter y)NaBafg}r3l6CeXo, press enter to continue. notice how its that file name minus the comma, so I'm assuming when you use the explorer integration, it just adds command lines to the gui scheduler, where a comma signifies a parameter in the command line.

Maybe a comma and some other special characters need to be taken out of the random name generating? and maybe a timeout or something needs to be added into the wipe free space routine so it doesn't get hung up on files or can at least report them, which is what I'm assuming happened since it sat for over two hours without any increase in free disk space on my hard drive which i should have seen as it successfully erased the temp files it created.

rjo98 said:
Anyway, when I went into the folder and sorted the files by size in increasing order, I was able to erase the first couple manually. then i got to a file named ,y)NaBafg}r3l6CeXo, and when i try to do that manually, i get a pop-up that says unknown parameter y)NaBafg}r3l6CeXo, press enter to continue. notice how its that file name minus the comma, so I'm assuming when you use the explorer integration, it just adds command lines to the gui scheduler, where a comma signifies a parameter in the command line.
Please create a bug of this in Trac, I'll fix it when time is on my side. Your analysis is right, but I think we just need to escape the comma character.

rjo98 said:
Maybe a comma and some other special characters need to be taken out of the random name generating?
I don't think so, the file system handles it perfectly fine.

rjo98 said:
and maybe a timeout or something needs to be added into the wipe free space routine so it doesn't get hung up on files or can at least report them, which is what I'm assuming happened since it sat for over two hours without any increase in free disk space on my hard drive which i should have seen as it successfully erased the temp files it created.
I'll need to know which stage the program is hanging at -- the last 10% or so of the free space erase does a lot of MFT-intensive activity and its hard to distinguish what goes on. It could have been stuck at the phase where we are filling the disk with small files to erase old MFT records.

Hi Joel. I'll create the bug. I didn't mean to say Windows couldn't handle the comma as the first character of a name, just wasn't sure if you had to escape it or if it would be easier to just have it not use a comma to start random file names with. guess you have two options there. the last time i was able to get a status, i believe the overall process was at 89 percent, just after it had finished wiping the free space, so sounds like it was probably at the MFT part you described. but shouldn't it have started moving or at least been able to report a new status in two hours? i made the mistake of closing the status window, then when i reopened it and let it sat, it just continuously said querying.

I tried clicking on the how to report a bug link from the homepage but its broken, so i made another post under Eraser Programming. Hope that's the right spot for it for you.

Where is the how to report a bug link you used?

Back