Erasing free space - what's left?

peithos

I erased 68GB of free space on my data drive. Prior to erasure I was able to identify several thousand files for potential recovery using Spotmau Wincare 'undelete'
Following 1 pass of pseudorandom, and having run WinCare again, I was able to identify 14568 items (162 bytes in total) for potential recovery. However these items were labelled with zeros for name, type, size, all had today's date and all had what appears to be a nonsense pathway like E:/1BWIOZ.ERTGHRFSET000000000000.........
Is this what I should see? Can I be confident that everything has been erased or are these items somehow recoverable?
Thanks in advance for your help.

peithos said:
I erased 68GB of free space on my data drive. Prior to erasure I was able to identify several thousand files for potential recovery using Spotmau Wincare 'undelete'
Following 1 pass of pseudorandom, and having run WinCare again, I was able to identify 14568 items (162 bytes in total) for potential recovery. However these items were labelled with zeros for name, type, size, all had today's date and all had what appears to be a nonsense pathway like E:/1BWIOZ.ERTGHRFSET000000000000.........
Is this what I should see? Can I be confident that everything has been erased or are these items somehow recoverable?
Thanks in advance for your help.
what you are seeing is correct. After running Eraser on a free space wipe you will see thousands of zero byte files with random names. These now occupy the space that the data used to and as a result the data that was there should be unrecoverable. I can't say with 100% certainty that what was there has gone forever but there is no evidence out there that anything has ever been recovered.

Back