Erasing Large Files 1gb+

JukeboxJezabel

I am running XPSP3 with the current Eraser 6 .0.6.1376 stable version. When I wipe large files I get these log messages "Fatal Plausible deniability was selected, but no decoy files were found. The current file has been only replaced with random data." When I look at the setting options the files I chose are still there as they are in the folder that they are stored in. I can't restart or kill the program, the eraser.exe can't be unlocked. If I try to restart I get two instances of eraser.exe running which will not erase. If eraser is disabled in msconfig the exe can be restarted but the same fatal error occurs. Once I get the fatal error eraser will not erase anything unless I reboot the pc. Any help is appreciated. Tia

The previous version (5.8.x) should work well under XP. You might want to try that until a new version of Eraser 6 comes out in a few weeks. Uninstall Eraser 6 fully before trying to install the old version. Alternatively, try a recent nightly build of Eraser 6 (I am using r1884); many problems have been fixed since the so-called stable build was issued, and, ironically, the nightly builds are now more stable than the 'stable' version.

Hope this helps.

David

Thanks. I did go back to 5.8, with the most current nightly I was still having the same problems. Fyi, with eraser 6 in xp in the recycle bin there is no lettering or icon in the right click menu except an arrow pointing to the sub menu that shows the erase or erase on restart.

JukeboxJezabel said:
Fyi, with eraser 6 in xp in the recycle bin there is no lettering or icon in the right click menu except an arrow pointing to the sub menu that shows the erase or erase on restart.
To take this further, I think we'd need to be sure that this is still an issue in the current build of Eraser 6.

David

The lettering issue is fixed a month or so ago, already in trunk.

The plausible deniability option can be rectified by going to the Settings page, and unchecking the "Replace files with the following files to ensure plausible deniability" checkbox. If that's checked, you must specify a list of files to pick from to be the named "decoy" files.

Back