Erasing Recycle Bin Problem

Goose31

I tried to erase the Recycle Bin on a 35 pass, but it got stalled on a large video (probably was just going slow). Anyways, I ended the process, and restarted my computer. Try again. Same thing. Now, I've gone from ~120 Gigs on my hard drive to 20. Where is that file that takes up so much space?

You might have bailed out of the "erase" process incorrectly, thus leaving a huge Temp file on your computer.

There're two ways to fix this - (1) right-click the recycle bin and from the context menu select "Erase Recycle Bin (1-pass pseudorandom data)" , let it run with OUT messing with it and see if that fixes the problem.

If not, here's the old way to dump that file: "Q: "After running Eraser the free space on my drive was lost or reduced noticeably. How can I fix this?"

A: It could be that either Eraser was terminated abnormally or the system crashed causing the temporary files not to be removed. You can remove the folder "~ERAFSWD.TMP" and all the files in it to reclaim the disk space (open command prompt and type "deltree X:\~ERAFSWD.TMP", where X is the drive letter). (On my XP Pro computer, I have to use " del_C:\~erafswd.tmp " ).

Hope this helps. Pete

*And by-the-way, devs - how come this isn't in the FAQ anymore?

spy1 said:
You might have bailed out of the "erase" process incorrectly, thus leaving a huge Temp file on your computer.

This should only been seen if erasing of free space borks not file or recycle bin emptying as neither of those should use much more space than the file its self.

The obvious thing to try if you havn't already is to empty the recycle bin (non eraser method). If that doesnt work try using a program such as space monger to try and see where the space went

It also wouldn't hurt to let us know exactly WHICH version of Eraser you're using and what your OS is. Pete

Seems like after a restart it went away.

I was, however, using the latest version of Eraser on Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit.

Glad you got it resolved. Pete

Back