Erasing Unused disk space C drive

pcconfused

These are probably stupid questions to those computer experts but as a layman in such matters, could someone answer my queries as below.

1. I have used eraser for some time and always set it to erase unused disk space on drive C. Is this the correct way to permanently erase all "deleted" files etc that I have previously deleted in the normal manner (which I am aware do not really "disappear")

2. Am I right in assuming therefore that when one "deletes" a file, it ends up in some unseen form on the unused disk space on the C drive?

3. I have noted on FAQ that there are instructions on how to erase files from the recycle bin but why bother to do this if upon emptying the recycle bin, presumably these "deleted" files end up on the unused disk space on C drive and can then be erased from there.

4. Upon finishing my erasing on the unused disk space on drive C, I always get a message "completed with errors". Is that normal and what are the "errors"?

Thanks for any advice.

pcconfused said:
1. I have used eraser for some time and always set it to erase unused disk space on drive C. Is this the correct way to permanently erase all "deleted" files etc that I have previously deleted in the normal manner (which I am aware do not really "disappear")
Yes, but there may be other copies lying about that you may not be aware of. Eraser is only one of the many tools you will be needing. Common examples are the page file, as well as the System Restore history.

pcconfused said:
2. Am I right in assuming therefore that when one "deletes" a file, it ends up in some unseen form on the unused disk space on the C drive?
Yup, exactly.

pcconfused said:
3. I have noted on FAQ that there are instructions on how to erase files from the recycle bin but why bother to do this if upon emptying the recycle bin, presumably these "deleted" files end up on the unused disk space on C drive and can then be erased from there.
It's for those who want to delete files in the recycle bin, and instead of emptying the recycle bin, erasing the recycle bin instead. In other words, the recycle bin continues to be a consolidation function to allow one erasure to take out a day's worth of files, for example.

pcconfused said:
4. Upon finishing my erasing on the unused disk space on drive C, I always get a message "completed with errors". Is that normal and what are the "errors"?
Right-click the task, View Task Log. Filter the log to Warnings and above, it should be pretty obvious. You can copy and paste logs using the right-click menu after selecting some entries, or control-C.

Hi, i just downloaded the eraser software for the first time and tried to use it.

i, also, tried to delete deleted files by erasing "unused disk space" but i expected my C:drive to increase in free-space instead of decreasing.

I was told that by erasing the files and not just the link to the files, i would free up actual space on the drive. Less Free Space doesn't look right.

What am i doing wrong or did i completely misunderstand the software?

Thank you in advance

That's normal, Eraser fills the drive to erase the unused space. Let it finish the task and it should clear up after itself.

Thank you.

I hope you are right, the eraser has been running since more than 2 hours and i have already lost 0,64 GB

2 hours gone and Status still only shows 2 green bars.

I'll let you know how

Are you using Gutmann? And are you connected to the drive via USB?

Thank you Joel. It took more than 6 hours, there must have been 5 years worth of files to be shredded. i gained more than 2,5 GB free space on the drive.

Great tool. Thank you

Newbee here, just downloaded Eraser and like it very much so far - like the way you can use the recycle bin as a consolidation function to allow one erasure to take out a day's worth of files. On the other hand, erasing unused disk space is a problem so far. I have Vista and the log error says that eraser does not have permission to work -- how do I tell vista to let eraser do this?

Try this. Note the need to exit Eraser before doing that.

Back