error msg: Eraser cannot connect to the running instance for

rmits

I installed eraser 6.0.7 and had no problem going through it. I see the icon on the desktop etc.

I went to the recycle bin to erase data there as a test. And the eraser button was greyed out.

So I thought I'll click on eraser icon to do it that way. However, I see this error:

"Eraser cannot connect to the running instance for erasures".

Re: error msg: Eraser cannot connect to the running instance

This is one of those problems we may have to deal with progressively; there is something in the Eraser installation that is broken, but it can be a little tricky to work out what it is.

Start by finding the file Task List.ersx, and deleting it. The location will vary according to which OS you are using, but there is guidance in the Eraser Manual and the FAQ. When you have deleted it, log off and on again to restart Eraser. If that doesn't work, well need to try something a bit more drastic.

David

I have windows XP and I couldn't find this file. I used the search utility and looked at whole c: drive. Is there any particular location you can point me to.

You probably didn't search for hidden files, and it is in a hidden folder. That's why I asked you to look at the FAQ.

For XP, try <Your User folder>\Local Settings\Application Data\Eraser 6.

David

I recently upgraded to version 6.0.7.1893 on Windows XP SP2, and I too receive the "Eraser cannot connect to the running instance..." message. I receive it upon trying to launch Eraser via the shell extension, as I've done for years with previous versions of Eraser. In response to the recommendation above: I have terminated Eraser, deleted "Task List.ersx", and tried restarting the program via the shell extension, but still receive the error.

In addition to addressing this error, I was hoping you could answer a couple more questions as well: Is there a reason Eraser now needs to run at startup by default? Though it was an easy thing to disable, I saw no checkbox on installation indicating that it would do so (and providing an option to turn that behavior off). I understand that the task scheduler will not work if the process isn't running (although on Windows, a command-line option via the Windows Task Scheduler could work just as well, no?), but I don't think this should force all users to auto-run the program on startup. Certainly a checkbox on installation would be appreciated--even if only via the "custom" installation option.

Also: in the course of reading over the forums here, I've read a few references to problems in previous versions of Eraser, but haven't seen anything definitive indicating why I should stick with the latest version as opposed to reverting to 5.7. Were there significant security issues in versions before 6.x? Though I like the new "plausible deniability" feature, I cannot afford to lose the shell extension option.

I do thank the developers for their continued work on the project. I certainly appreciate it being maintained as freeware and am grateful for the efforts to continue improving it--I just hope I, too, can enjoy those new features.

Jinx said:
I recently upgraded to version 6.0.7.1893 on Windows XP SP2, and I too receive the "Eraser cannot connect to the running instance..." message. I receive it upon trying to launch Eraser via the shell extension, as I've done for years with previous versions of Eraser. In response to the recommendation above: I have terminated Eraser, deleted "Task List.ersx", and tried restarting the program via the shell extension, but still receive the error.
The Eraser download page specifies that the program should be used with Windows XP SP3. I don't know whether it will work with SP2, but I am sure that SP2 would need to be fully patched, and have the latest Root Certificates installed. Also, if (as indicated below), you are not allowing Eraser 6 to run at startup, that in itself would prevent you from erasing from the context menu if the running process had not otherwise been started. See also my answer to the next question.

Jinx said:
In addition to addressing this error, I was hoping you could answer a couple more questions as well: Is there a reason Eraser now needs to run at startup by default? Though it was an easy thing to disable, I saw no checkbox on installation indicating that it would do so (and providing an option to turn that behavior off). I understand that the task scheduler will not work if the process isn't running (although on Windows, a command-line option via the Windows Task Scheduler could work just as well, no?), but I don't think this should force all users to auto-run the program on startup. Certainly a checkbox on installation would be appreciated--even if only via the "custom" installation option.
This comes up frequently on the forum, and the issue will be resolved in due course. See this thread.

Jinx said:
Also: in the course of reading over the forums here, I've read a few references to problems in previous versions of Eraser, but haven't seen anything definitive indicating why I should stick with the latest version as opposed to reverting to 5.7. Were there significant security issues in versions before 6.x? Though I like the new "plausible deniability" feature, I cannot afford to lose the shell extension option.
With Windows XP, you could stick with Version 5.x (even though it is no longer supported). Personally, I'd use the latest build (5.8.8 ) if I were doing this. But remember that Version 5 is now a dead end. Version 6 is in effect a new program and all the limited development effort available to the team has to go into the Version 6 development agenda. For myself, I also have to say that, once I got used to the Version 6 UI, I didn't enjoy going back to Version 5 (e.g. for the portable version). And Version 6.0.7 works perfectly well (including the shell extension) for me on XP, though I am using SP3.

David

The main thing you're reporting here is that you've disabled the starting up of Eraser by default. Try enabling it for starters. The fact that Eraser doesn't work after the program has been exited and re-run from the context menu is a known bug, but without any conclusive means of finding where the problem is.

DavidHB said:
The Eraser download page specifies that the program should be used with Windows XP SP3.

If you're referring to "http://eraser.heidi.ie/download.php", then no, it does not. It specifies Build Name, Version, Release Date, and Downloads, but no target/supported OS. (Edit: Ah, I found it on the index.php page--somewhat oddly reported as a feature. It should probably be added on the Download page as well, no?). As for running it on SP2: I really don't see why there would be any issue in doing so; it runs quite well beyond the issue noted above.

Thank you for linking the thread; it explains nicely the plans to run it as a service. However, it doesn't really answer my question as to a reason why Eraser now runs at startup--that is, why this was planned for 6.x to the exclusion of running it normally? If it was purely a Vista/7 response, was there no way to avoid forcing the background process? As I said, beyond the task scheduler, I can't see why it needs to run, and even the scheduler could be done by the OS.

DavidHB said:
And Version 6.0.7 works perfectly well (including the shell extension) for me on XP, though I am using SP3.
Does it work without running on boot?

Joel said:
The main thing you're reporting here is that you've disabled the starting up of Eraser by default. Try enabling it for starters.

I'm reporting that the behavior of this utility is not functioning as expected (based on previous versions). While I appreciate that the background process/future-service is kept to minimal system resource use, I think many people nevertheless would rather not have that process present on a day-to-day basis.

Joel said:
The fact that Eraser doesn't work after the program has been exited and re-run from the context menu is a known bug, but without any conclusive means of finding where the problem is.

Well, that decides it for me then, unfortunately; I'll have to revert to the 5.x series. It's good to know, however, that there are no known major (particularly security) issues in 5.8.8. I look forward to when the 6.x series fixes this bug / restores the "run on demand" functionality.

As for the current versions: it might be wise to put some sort of information bubble in the installation that describes the current installation scenario: "As of Eraser 6.x, a background process is required and will be registered to run on startup. This is in anticipation of converting the background process to a service. For more information, see here." This could then be expanded to "For information on running Eraser portably / without a service, see here" if and when that functionality is introduced.

Again, I appreciate your efforts on this program. I mean no offense; I am simply trying to run the recent versions of this program in the same way I have run previous versions for years. Obviously it is not to be, yet, but I look forward to it being a possibility in future versions. Thank you again.

This bug has been (finally) fixed in r2263. The next version of Eraser will incorporate the fix.

Back