Exception when wiping free disk space

Kreacher

I installed the latest release 6.0.6.1376 on my Windows 7 64bit machine and expected some problems when trying to erase the unused disk space. The program begins to delete the cluster tips of the files and then stops with the following error message:

Samstag, 26. Dezember 2009 08:24:15 Error The data area passed to a system call is too small. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007A)

I'm not quite sure if this happens while the program is still deleting cluster tips or if this happens when Eraser starts to overwrite the free disk space. I'm using the default program settings (Pseudorandom data, 1 pass). Erase 5.8.8 is running without problems.

There are no entries in the event log.

PC config:
Windows 7 64bit
Q6600 2.4 GHz
4 GB RAM
Intel G33 Chipset

These are the last entries in the Eraser log before the error occurs:

Samstag, 26. Dezember 2009 08:23:56 Error C:\System Volume Information did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Access to the path 'C:\System Volume Information' is denied.
Samstag, 26. Dezember 2009 08:24:08 Error C:\Users\Admin did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
Samstag, 26. Dezember 2009 08:24:08 Error C:\Users\Admin did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
Samstag, 26. Dezember 2009 08:24:08 Information Files in C:\Users\Admin\Anwendungsdaten did not have their cluster tips erased because it is a hard link or a symbolic link.
Samstag, 26. Dezember 2009 08:24:09 Information Files in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Anwendungsdaten did not have their cluster tips erased because it is a hard link or a symbolic link.
Samstag, 26. Dezember 2009 08:24:11 Error C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
Samstag, 26. Dezember 2009 08:24:11 Error C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Der Prozess kann nicht auf die Datei zugreifen, da sie von einem anderen Prozess verwendet wird. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)

Seems that the error occurs while deleting cluster tips. I just started the task again but unchecked the button 'Erase Cluster tips'. This time the task completes without errors.

I think I know what's causing this; but I thought I've implemented a fix already. I'll look at this again later. Thanks!

Turns out to be a completely different error; fixed nonetheless in r1473 and later. Thanks for reporting the bug!

Back