Failed to erase files names from drive C:; XP, not VISTA

Crimea

Hi,

I would be very grateful for any help regarding the following error I continually get:

Information:
Statistics:
Erased area = 3663 MB
Cluster tips = 0 bytes
Data written = 3663 MB
Write time = 89.17 s
Write speed = 42067 kB/s
Failures:
Error: Failed to erase file names from drive C:\, don't know why exactly.

From the search I have just done, it appears this should only be common to Vista systems and not to the XP system I use.

I use Eraser 5.8.7.

My drive is internal - the only one - isn't encrypted or compressed, is formatted to NTFS and I have Admin privileges. I hope I've given all the info anyone needs.

I no longer seem to be able to defrag the "C:" (using Raxco PerfectDisk 10), following whatever the cause of the problem is, as I get:
"Unable to defragment Entire Drive \\?\Volume13b{22307-b2d5-11db-bfc7-806d6172696f} due to error Incorrect function. (2147024895)."
I can't yet check what the error refers to, as I have to wait before being accepted on to the forum and the Knowledge Base doesn't help.

Thanks for any help.

Before doing anything else, I'd run a disk check, just to be sure you don't have any file system errors. I have seen Microsoft advice that the error you report is associated with corruption in the last sector of the volume. I am inclined to believe that it is not related to Eraser as such.

As you may know, Eraser 5 is no longer supported, and it is the better part of a year since I have used it (other than the portable version), so this has to be a fairly general answer. I would expect file recovery programs to recover file names, and sometimes contents, when both System Restore and shadow copies are enabled on the drive in question; these are enabled by default. Whether this is possible will depend both on the history of the file (in particular, whether there is more than one deleted copy), and whether free space has been erased on the drive. I know that Eraser 6 will deal with shadow copies if they exist, but do not know whether, or when, this capability was implemented in Eraser 5.

My advice would be to erase the free space on the drive after you have checked it, to see if that makes a difference.

David

The normal Windows disk check. Right click on the drive icon in My Computer, select Properties, then the Tools tab, then 'error checking' (or it may be 'disk checking' in XP - I forget). Have the check fix any errors it finds. Windows will tell you that it needs to do the check on reboot. Have it do that, then reboot, and allow the check to run to completion (which is a lengthy process). After the check (the results of which will scroll almost too fast for you to see them), the machine will reboot again.

David

Back