File names of files wiped from hard drive still accessable w

rrodd

I wiped the unused disk with eraser. If I go to restore the files the original file name is found but the file cannot be restored. Is if possible to remove the original file names/folder names from the hard disk or do they remain untill the disk is erased.

Re: File names of files wiped from hard drive still accessab

The unused disk space erase did not complete properly. This is a known (and rather complex) problem which is the subject of a great deal of work. Check that you have not 'lost' any space on your hard drive; and read and follow the various FAQ topics on recovering 'lost' hard drive space. If the drive you are trying to eraser is your system (C:) drive, try running the task without the erasing of cluster tips enabled, as that sometimes helps. Alternatively, you could try using one of the nightly development builds, but they are not really intended for normal use.

If the erase works correctly, Eraser overwrites the unused entries in the MFT at the end of the process.

David

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am trying to wipe the c drive so I will try your suggestion on cluster tips.

Remember it's an Unused Space wipe, not the C: drive wipe as the latter will erase your OS (incompletely)

Back