Floppy in DOS format was not found...

Cybermatrix0

Yes, yes, I know! You heard this question before, but my 3.5 floppy is an internal floppy. I downloaded DBAN and put it on CD. Then I changed the boot order so my computer would boot to CD before the hard drive. I inserted the CD with DBAN on it, and then restarted my computer. It worked fine, I selected the PRNG Stream method, had it verify on all passes, and had it run on 15 rounds. When I got back to my computer, there's a message that says, "Saving log file to floppy disk... a floppy disk in DOS format was not found. DBAN finished. Press ENTER to save the log file." I inserted a formatted disk and hit ENTER, but the same message popped up. So I formatted the floppy in a computer running Windows 98 (I was thinking maybe the disk had to be formatted into a FAT32 format). This didn't work, so I went into DOS in the Win98 computer and formatted the disk there, and it still doesn't work. The write-protect tab was set so I could write on the floppy. Like I said before, my 3.5 floppy is internal. If possible I do want to save the log file to see it. Can you help me out? My computer's specs are:

Dell Dimension 2300 (it's not a laptop)
Pentium 4, 1.75 GHz
Windows XP home edition
766 MB memory
40 GB hard drive
DirectX 9.0c (if this makes a difference)

I probably gave you more information than you needed, but just in case here it is. :mrgreen:

So I formatted the floppy in a computer running Windows 98
A floppy disk formatted by any Microsoft DOS or Microsoft Windows operating system is compatible with DBAN.

The write-protect tab was set so I could write on the floppy.
DBAN will complain about the write-protect tab if it is set.

Like I said before, my 3.5 floppy is internal. If possible I do want to save the log file to see it. Can you help me out?

Did the floppy drive work in Microsoft Windows?

Can you start the floppy disk version of DBAN on this computer?

Is the floppy drive LED always on solid, always off, or does it blink?

When you push ENTER to save the log file, does the floppy drive spin up?

DBAN will complain about the write-protect tab if it is set.
Not to ask a stupid question, but are you saying, then, I should set the write-protect tab open (this sounds odd to me)? :?: By the way, I did try using the 3.5 floppy with the tab open as well as closed.
Did the floppy drive work in Microsoft Windows?
Yes.
Can you start the floppy disk version of DBAN on this computer?
Not with the "floppy disk in DOS format" message still on the screen.
Is the floppy drive LED always on solid, always off, or does it blink?
The LED's on solid when I hit enter.
When you push ENTER to save the log file, does the floppy drive spin up?
What do you mean by "floppy drive spin up"?

I should set the write-protect tab open (this sounds odd to me)?
No, it should be open. If you set it wrong, then DBAN will specifically tell you about it.

Not with the "floppy disk in DOS format" message still on the screen.
The log file is not recoverable at this point. You must restart the computer.

The LED's on solid when I hit enter.
If the LED is on when the computer starts and never goes off, then it is cabled incorrectly. The usual glitch is that the floppy drive is not connected at the end of the cable, or that pin 1 is not right.

If the LED goes solid after the blue DBAN splash screen, then there is a driver problem.

What do you mean by "floppy drive spin up"?
You should be able to hear the spindle turn in a floppy drive. It makes a gentle grinding and clicking noise.

Back