Folders not erased

dopple

Hi I have a problem erasing folders. I have windows 7 and eraser 6.06. When I try to erase a folder that contains 1 or more other folders which often though not always also contain data the contents of the folders are deleted but the folders themselves remain, having been renamed with random data. The pop-up message I get is the task was completed with errors. It is impossible to delete the remaining folders. Additionally, because the only way was to send the folders to the recycle bin I used eraser to empty it and once again the message I got back was task completed with errors. Yet when I opened the recycle bin it was empty!. Can anyone help please? Thank you, Howard.

You don't necessarily have a problem. What does the task log say about the errors?

If you really have Eraser 6.0.6, you should replace it with 6.0.7. But check Help|About to find the correct information; the Eraser window in 6.0.7. still describes it as 6.0.6.

David

Thanks for replying. All the task logs say the folders are being used by another process, but they are not. I shut down the computer and restarted it yet I get the same message. They are only data files and folders and are not being used by any program. Very strange. The only thing I think they have in common is that they were all rar files originally .

Don't discount the possibility that another process is protecting those files; that process may even be the Windows file system itself :D .

If you are still using 6.0.6, there was a bug which sometimes produced errors of this kind, but I haven't seen anything in 6.0.7. Probably the key issue is to check whether the files are recoverable. If Explorer can't see them, try running a file recovery tool such as Recuva (which is free, from the same people as CCleaner), to see if it can find and recover the files. If it can, please report the details here.

David

dopple said:
Hi I have a problem erasing folders. I have windows 7 and eraser 6.06. When I try to erase a folder that contains 1 or more other folders which often though not always also contain data the contents of the folders are deleted but the folders themselves remain, having been renamed with random data. The pop-up message I get is the task was completed with errors. It is impossible to delete the remaining folders. Additionally, because the only way was to send the folders to the recycle bin I used eraser to empty it and once again the message I got back was task completed with errors. Yet when I opened the recycle bin it was empty!. Can anyone help please? Thank you, Howard.

Yup, that has always been my experience as well. Seems to not matter what im erasing whether its in use or not Eraser leaves folders with random names behind. Despite this build being called "stable" it has a lot of bugs that are quite annoying.

rarebear said:
Seems to not matter what im erasing whether its in use or not Eraser leaves folders with random names behind. Despite this build being called "stable" it has a lot of bugs that are quite annoying.
For most people, the randomly named folders left behind by a free space wipe are not a security issue. But they are an annoyance, because you have to delete them to recover the hard drive space.

My experience with 6.0.7. is that it does not have a lot of bugs, but that the ones it has are rather significant. Which is why I am looking forward to the next release. And the one after that. Unfortunately, Joel (the lead programmer) has other things to do at the moment, so development work is likely to be delayed.

David

Just to let you know it appears to be the old build. I installed 6.07 and for the moment the problem has been cured. Thank you David for your help. Thanks also to Joel, we all know it's work in progress so all the best.

Certainly, if you were using 6.0.6., that would explain the problem. I'm glad we could help.

David

Back