Getting UAC pop up every time I use the context menu to erase a file.

TFurguson

Hello,

I am getting the User Access Control pop up window every time I try to right click a file in explorer and click "erase". I previously did not get this pop up when I was using 6.0.10.2620, but after updating to 6.2.0.2991 I see it every time. I also tried version 6.2.0.2992 that was suggested in this post:
Why needs Admin right to run Eraser version 6.2.0.2991 after upgrade from version 6.2.0.2982?
But I still see the UAC pop-up with 2992. Is there anything else I can try to remove the popup?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Right click on eraser.exe and under compatibility set it to run as administrator
In windows you can also turn UAC off globally - google will have the answer

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately run as administrator is already checked in the compatibility properties.

I ran some tests:
6.2.0.2992 w/run as admin checked - UAC pop up
6.2.0.2992 w/run as admin unchecked - error msg "Tasks must contain at least one erasure target"

Then I uninstalled 6.2.0.2992 and installed 6.0.10.2620. After it installed, eraser.exe does not have "run as admin" checked in the compatibility properties by default.
6.0.10.2620 w/run as admin unchecked - erases without the UAC pop up

I don't want to turn UAC off globally since it does help to catch actual malicious SW. From my testing above it does seem like something changed in Eraser that now requires the UAC pop up where it was not before. Any other ideas how to revert to the old behavior without the UAC pop up?

Thanks again.

Yup, I have all the updates.

Thanks for pointing me to the page on how to disable UAC for a specific application. After reading all the warnings on there, I've decided it's probably a good idea to have the UAC pop up for eraser. The possibility of some malware using eraser to clear my hard drive is scary.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Hello,

I am getting the User Access Control pop up window every time I try to right click a file in explorer and click "erase". I previously did not get this pop up when I was using 6.0.10.2620, but after updating to 6.2.0.2991 I see it every time. I also tried version 6.2.0.2992 that was suggested in this post:
Why needs Admin right to run Eraser version 6.2.0.2991 after upgrade from version 6.2.0.2982?
But I still see the UAC pop-up with 2992. Is there anything else I can try to remove the popup?

Thanks!
Hi.

To deactivate the UAC pop-up box, follow what I have indicated here.

After doing the above steps, and the next time you delete a file with Eraser, you will no longer see that pop-up box and you will jump straight to the delete confirmation dialog.

Tested on Windows 10 64bits

Back