hard drive setting question and windows 2000 has a issue

A

Anonymous

My pc has two hard drives.

I did actually use dban to wipe my second drive and was able to reinstall windows 2000 agian..yep,,there was no problem.

By the way, Windows 2000 set up stated there was I/O error or can not detect Arcread boot setor. Anti-virus protection disable on the motherboard too.

My motherboard bios can detect my main one and I did some research it over the internet to solve that issue and it suggested to check for the hard drvie cable and there was no problem.

How do I reconfingure the setting of master and slave hard drive setting on the motherboard?

My pc use dual mode cable which splits master and slave hard drive stuff

Will the problem be fixed if I buy or get a single hard drive cable?

By the way, Windows 2000 set up stated there was I/O error or can not detect Arcread boot setor.
Use stamped installation media. Do not use CD-R installation media.

How do I reconfingure the setting of master and slave hard drive setting on the motherboard?
Change the master/slave configuration with jumpers on the hard drives. If the jumper settings are not printed on the hard drive label, then you must read the hard drive documentation.

The ideal configuration for two ATA disks on the same controller is:

Motherboard -- Disk (Cable Select) -- Disk (Cable Select)

The disk at the end of the cable will be the master and appear as the C: drive.

If your equipment is incompatible with cable select, then try:

Motherboard -- Disk (Jumper Slave) -- Disk (Jumper Master)

Do not mixmatch a drive set to cable select with a drive set to master/slave, and try to keep the master device at the end of the cable.

My pc use dual mode cable which splits master and slave hard drive stuff
What is a "dual mode cable"?

you are the expert in computer stuff, so I seriously need your help on this.

What I meant was "dual hard drive cable" as it has split cable connector with master and slave hard drive stuff.
I check my hard drive jumper settiing and it was proper.

Currently, I use the slave hard drive as my way to use my pc, but it is hell of too damned slow with the hard drive cable which is split for master and slave portion.
Motherboard can detect the hard drive, but windows can't still access the hard drive; windows still complains for I/O error and arcred boot sector crap.

How could it be possible? Does it mean that my dirve is completely unusable anymore?

Anyway, What is IRQ?

does my hard drive issue in common for other people ?

I followed your suggestion to swith the master and slave hard drive setting and it still can not access by windows 2000.
Does it mean that my main hard drive physically broke?

Is it possible for the main hard drive internally messed up its internal setting that prevent windows 2000 to get access to?

If it is so, what will be the possible ways to get fixed?

It doesn't seem like the problem is not due to the hard drive cable or hard drive pin. I don't see any bent hard drive pin or hard drive cable.

Can you give me any ideal tips for me on this issue?

Do I have to either buy a new hard drive or send the hard drive to the manufacturer?

What is the hard drive firmware?
Is it like a mother flash program? If so, can I possibly put new firmware to try to fix the hard drive internal setting?

You have a complex problem so it is unlikely that you will receive a solution here. Take your computer to a professional technician for service.

Back