"Has completed with errors" ...and now? Reason?

psto

I manually started to erase a file on my hard disc (64bit Win7).

However the task did not completed. In the Schedule Pane the task has an entry "Completed with errors".

So what reasons? What can I do to execute the erase successfully?

The file is not locked.

Peter

The file probably has a permissions issue. Try running Eraser as Administrator, but stop the running Eraser process first. Details are in the FAQ topic "Getting to know Eraser 6", which also tells you how to read the log, where you can see the information about your error.

David

DavidHB said:
The file probably has a permissions issue. Try running Eraser as Administrator, but stop the running Eraser process first. Details are in the FAQ topic "Getting to know Eraser 6", which also tells you how to read the log, where you can see the information about your error.

David

Ok, thank you. A view into the log gives the following msg:

"The file D:\data\archive23.zip could not be erased because the file was either compressed, encrypted or a sparse file."

Hmm, I suspect that the file is a sparse file because it is really huge (>1 GB).
Why is Eraser unable to erase such files?
How can I "unsparse" the file manually?

Peter

Is the D: drive set to compress or encrypt files? Eraser, at present at least, cannot deal with files compressed or encrypted by the NTFS file system (files compressed or encrypted by programs do not have this problem). Eraser 5 could corrupt the file system when dealing with files of this kind, so Joel played safe when he wrote Eraser 6.

I doubt that this is a sparse file, as these are (I believe) large files that contain lots of zero data, and this seems rather unlikely with a zip file.

David

Most likely this is a compressed file (both in terms of it being a zip file, as well as compressed by the file system.)

The immediate workaround is to delete the file and run an unused space erase on the file. That should remove the file residues and take care of file names.

How about if Eraser would tell the user in detail in such a case if the file is not erased because it is
a) compressed
b) encrypted
c) sparsed?
and not putting all reasons into one bag?

Furthermore I woudl urgently suggest to put each error message on multiple lines.
I always have to enlarge the log window to full screen and even more scroll beyond the right border to see the reason.

This is user unfriendly.

Put it on two line and shorten it:
File D:\aaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbb\ccccccccccc\testfile.log compöeted with errors (in red color)!
Reason: File is sparsed (in red color)!

Thank you
Peter

Back