HELP! I killed my workstation with eraser

NEED-HELP

excuse me for bad english, i'm german...

Today i let eraser run (was the first time i used eraser) on my notebook to overwrite / delete unused disk space. it started normally, but then i went out of home. When i came back the system was shutdown and did not start any more in any mode. only a window-logo comes up when i start to boot, but then i see a bluescreen with faikure notice: UNMOUNTABLE ... DEVICE!. I tried to repair with ERD Commander (doesn't find a system-partition), windows system recovery...

With linux-knoppix on CD i can see at least the data on my harddisk, which seems to be fully complete! but there is one new folder which contains the data-waste produced by eraser (766 files). On the harddisk there isn't only one byte of free space!!! Before the erasing event i had 30,2 GB of 38 GB free, afterwards 0 byte free...

has anybody here ever had the same problem?

What shall I do to get back a normal system?

Is it possible that this problem was coming up because sometimes on startup / reboot the system can't find my harddisk? when I had this problem before, I only have removed my energy pack from lthe notebook and then start again. When I came home today after starting eraser the same failure notice was on my screen, but the next restart didn't work.

Please help me, because the biggest problem is, that the notebook is my notebook from work and not my own... so you can see again: don't give admin-rights to a user...

NEED-HELP said:
Is it possible that this problem was coming up because sometimes on startup / reboot the system can't find my harddisk? when I had this problem before, I only have removed my energy pack from lthe notebook and then start again.

From the sound of it, your hard-drive was dying before Eraser ever got on the scene.

NEED-HELP said:
Please help me, because the biggest problem is, that the notebook is my notebook from work and not my own... so you can see again: don't give admin-rights to a user...

If it wasn't your computer, you had no business loading outside software and running it, to begin with. It's not their fault for granting you Admin-rights on your account - it's your fault for abusing that when you knew better.

At the point you're at right now, I'd suggest just turning it in to your IT dept. at work and letting them deal with it.

The only other alternative would be to take it to a data-recovery shop on the outside and hope they can recover the info - without costing you a fortune.

Finally - in posts like this - it would be extremely helpful if you could at least mention what operating system your computer was using; what version of Eraser you were using and what wipe "method" you were attempting to use at the time.

There's a way to get back the lost disk space - but not with the computer in its' current state (un-bootable). Pete

What prompted need-helps to atempt for the first time a freespace wipe, on a computer that was't his. It wasn't even a freinds. It was the property of the company you work for.FYI You handle things you use but don't own with GREAT CARE. But the damage has been done. Now with knoppix CD can you copy all the important files on to a CD or a zip disk, just in case the IT dept. can't do anything with it.

>>ith linux-knoppix on CD i can see at least the data on my harddisk, which
A good start :)

>>data-waste produced by eraser (766 files). On the harddisk there isn't
did you try deleting this and rebooting?

Garrett

Back