Hidden partition becoming visible and assigned drive letter

luke123

Hi

I've a Dell pc with a small, hidden diagnostic partition.

After uninstalling Eraser 5.7 and installing 6.07, this formerly hidden partition appears to have become visible to Windows XP which assigns it a drive letter.

I used the command mountvol to remove such newly created drive letter, but it reappears everytime Windows boots or restarts.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is it possible that a certain registry setting relating to the (formerly) hidden partition has been altered during the Eraser 6.07 installation? If so, how can this be reversed so that no drive letter is assigned automatically to the (formerly) hidden partition?

Thanks in advance!

Luke

Re: Hidden partition becoming visible and assigned drive let

An interesting observation is that, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, there is no \DosDevices\{x} (where {x} is the drive letter) which corresponds to the drive letter now assigned to the (formerly) hidden partition. Does this suggest that such assignment takes place during boot-up?

Eraser 6.0.7 doesn't alter drive letters. Most likely it would be another application recently installed. You can try removing the drive assignment using the Disk Management MMC Snap-in.

The culprit turns out to be Ext2 IFS for Windows which I installed about two weeks ago. After I uninstalled it, the FAT16 partition becomes hidden again.

Sorry about the wrong attribution, Joel.

Back