High memory consumption

I was having a similar issue. In my case memory use as shown in task manager was ~180 MB.

Following the suggestion on an earlier post I removed the the manual entries, which were to erase the free space on C and D drives. Lo and behold the memory usage shrunk to a far more acceptable 19 MB. I'd never have guessed these two entries to have been the cause of the memory hogging!

Have you tried replacing these entries? I have a suspicion as to what the problem may be, but would welcome confirmation. I think that the issue may be caused by log entries for the free space erase of the C: drive. If that is correct, it is not necessary to remove the task from the Schedule, but only to clear the log.

A Drive C: free space erase with the option to erase cluster tips set will generate thousands of essentially spurious entries in the log. These entries are of essentially no use. I have suggested to Joel that the log really needs a re-design, so that it functions (at least in information terms) more like the Eraser 5 log.

David

Yes -- my hypothesis is also that log entries are using up the memory.

As .NET manages memory, running the task may cause the memory consumption to keep growing at an exponential rate. Think of this scenario:

1. User starts up with task list with one task containing 100000 log entries.
  2. User runs task
  3. Task generates 1 new log entry
  4. .NET reallocates memory block. 100000 log entries must be copied to the new memory, and old memory block awaits garbage collection
  5. Fast forward 100000 log entries
  6. Repeat ad nauseum

So it's not that difficult to imagine that .NET would have this problem. I concede that the task list design is not the most well-thought of on earth... but I think in the grand scheme of things it can wait? More important, IMO and the ordering here is based on what I recall first, would be things like implementing as a Service, parallel erasures, MFT cleaning, privacy leak controls (like CCleaner?)

In future, one can try clearing the logs of all tasks and see if memory usage is reduced. Exiting and restarting Eraser after clearing the logs may be necessary to see a decrease.

Back