How can I erase MsWord backup files?

spaulding

I've have read through dozens of postings and can't seem to find an answer to the problem of how to erase backup files. One post said that if you ask Eraser to erase all freespace on a harddrive, there will always be other copies left behind (backups such as made my MsWord, system restore files, browser cache, NTFS journal file, swap file, temporary files etc.) Are these the files people are complaining about finding with recovery programs after an erase? Is the problem that they are asking Eraser to erase only certain files instead of all freespace on the harddrive? Or is the problem that these backup copies are not considered to be freespace? In any event, how do you find and delete these types of backup files before using Eraser - particularly those created by MsWord? :?:

Unless you know the exact path to the Word back-up files - and create a special task for erasing it, anEraser free-space wipe's not going to touch it - because you're right, it's not un-used disk space. The same goes for some of the other files you mentioned.

In the case of the Word back-up files, CleanCache offers to securely over-write the MRU's involved (I have no idea whether or not that actually erases the backed-up file itself or what, I've never checked it since Word docs on here aren't a concern).

Both Eraser and CleanCache will (if correctly set) erase the swap file or pagefile.

Clean Cache - http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/CleanCache3.html - in addition will clean UserAssist registry entries

CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/ - (if so set) will erase - among other things - Memory dumps, ChkDisk File Fragments, Windows Log Files, Old pre-fetch data and User Assist History, as well.

Index.dat Suite - http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Prod ... x.datsuite - will flush your DNS cache - among other things - if so set.

IOW, an Eraser free-space wipe's not going to touch anything that either hasn't been already normally manually deleted or securely over-written first (before a free-space wipe with Eraser) unless, of course, you've created - with correct paths - a task within Eraser itself to do so.

I use all three above-mentioned programs (along with another thing or three) prior to any Eraser runs.

So why use Eraser at all, you say? Because of all the programs I just mentioned only Eraser will securely erase the file names and sizes and types that were deleted "securely erased" by the other programs so that that information can't be recovered by forensic recovery programs. HTH Pete

Cleaners

I noticed that no mention was made of the CleanUp utility.
Are there problems with it that I'm not aware of.
It, too, offers the options of overwriting the files mentioned...(bak, tmp, etc.).

tigerbiter - I mentioned the programs I am familiar with and use daily.

I have nothing against CleanUp - I simply don't use it and thus can't recommend it one way or the other. Pete

How to erase Word and Excel backup files

After erasing the MRU (Most-Recently-Used) files there are still Word and Excel files left which can be recovered when doing a scan with e.g. PC Inspector. How do I get rid of these files? (an Erase free-space wipe will not touch these files, as explained earlier in this post).

I located a left-over Word file with PC Inspector, and then tried to erase it with Eraser, but I could only select files located in an active folder, not backup files not registered any more in the file system.

How do I overcome this problem, i.e. how do I delete Word and Excel backup files manually, or even better, find a program that will do this for me?

Back