How do I delete 1 124 073files, or Eraser beta has bugs!

joetf

So, I installed Eraser 6-rc5, becsause I mean, it's Eraser, so all that beta scarrying stuff must be bluff, it's Eraser after all.

(I might add that I use Windows XP x64.)

Well, after starting two free space cleaning tasks, all I had to ask - does anybody check if it compiles? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The fact that .net crashed when I tried to select a drive I wanted to was a dead giveaway, that maybe this whole talking about betaness waqsn't just posturing. But I keept going on, and soon figured that even without working gui, I can still add tasks via right click explorer integration.

So I added a few and went to sleep.

In the morning, Eraser was consuming a whooping 1.8GB of ram and soon after it crashed. But if you though that bringing my system to halt by excessive memory consumption was bad, you'w gotta see what it did with the hard drives.

More precisely - it did this:

I'm quite surprised that NTFS can hold so many files in single directory.

Oh, and then the worst came - Eraser 6 doesn't have an uninstaller. Well, it's supposed to have an entry in add remove pgorams, but it just happens that add remove programs stopped working the same day (let me guess, it tries to parse directory structure and chockes on that certain "little" one? Wo know, it might be unrelated...). And Eraser6 doesn't have uninstall shortcut in start menu, or anything that look remotely like uninstaller in it's install directory.

Luckily, that one was solved by overintalling older version oferaser into Eraser6 directory and then uninstalling that older version promptly. And then deleting everything left in that directory and up to three directories near it. And then spraying hdd with holy water (ok, not that last one).

So, at the end, here I am:
Eraser-less, and with 1 124 073 files I need to delete.

Seriously, explorer.exe seems to crash on that many files. As amusing as it looks, I really need to get rid of those files and I don't really know how. Any help will be appreciated.

joetf said:
Well, after starting two free space cleaning tasks, all I had to ask - does anybody check if it compiles? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
The fact that .net crashed when I tried to select a drive I wanted to was a dead giveaway, that maybe this whole talking about betaness waqsn't just posturing. But I keept going on, and soon figured that even without working gui, I can still add tasks via right click explorer integration.
The crash was fixed in trunk, not in the released RCs. I believe you have a TrueCrypt partition somewhere or an unmounted partition (be it an EISA partition or a hidden/unmounted partition)

joetf said:
In the morning, Eraser was consuming a whooping 1.8GB of ram and soon after it crashed. But if you though that bringing my system to halt by excessive memory consumption was bad, you'w gotta see what it did with the hard drives.

More precisely - it did this:

I'm quite surprised that NTFS can hold so many files in single directory.
It looks like directory corruption. What were you erasing? (which drives?)

Oh, and then the worst came - Eraser 6 doesn't have an uninstaller. Well, it's supposed to have an entry in add remove pgorams, but it just happens that add remove programs stopped working the same day (let me guess, it tries to parse directory structure and chockes on that certain "little" one? Wo know, it might be unrelated...). And Eraser6 doesn't have uninstall shortcut in start menu, or anything that look remotely like uninstaller in it's install directory.
Yes, it's in ARP. I doubt ARP will fail with a huge directory like that, so I'm thinking it's more of file system corruption. Did you run chkdsk?

Have a go at my suggestions please, let me know if it works.

Thanks!
Joel

I have Truecrypt partition (it was supposed to be hidden, duh!) and some unmounted partitions (remnants of linux) in system.

They're both on different drive than the one that was affected.

The offending folder was in root directory of partition I was using Eraser on.

Good news is that I managed to delete it - the reason I had problems was that I used FolderSize and it chocked on that directory. I did chkdsk after deleting and everything seems to be ok.

Code:
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

976760000 KB total disk space.
 685864308 KB in 50895 files.
     26200 KB in 4470 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
   1286800 KB in use by the system.  <-that's a lot
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 289582692 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 244190000 total allocation units on disk.
  72395673 allocation units available on disk.

Yes the problem is with the TrueCrypt partition; the Task Target Selection dialog was choking on that, that's been fixed.

When the directory with all the files were left behind, did you see the task log to see what was the cause? What are the error messages?

Joel

Back