how long on a 200gb hdd??

zappyisfun

i have a 200gb sata-2 hdd that i am selling and i want to make sure EVERYTHING is off and unrecoverable.

what pass should i do and how long should it take?

computer specs.
amd anthlon 3700+ at 2.2ghz
2gb pc3200
abit av8 motherboard with via chipset.

zappyisfun said:
i have a 200gb sata-2 hdd that i am selling and i want to make sure EVERYTHING is off and unrecoverable.

computer specs.
2gb pc3200
if you run the default (which I think is a 3 pass DoD) it should take about 8 to 10 hours for a 200GB drive. Probably closer to the former.

zappyisfun said:

computer specs.
2gb pc3200

If I were you I would run a single random pass completely to secure your old data and then run whatever you want for as long as you want afterwards for paranoia.

:)

Can you start the computer with just a motherboard? I am buying my computer components one at a time. And I just received my motherboard. I already have a power supply. What is going to happen when I try to start up my computer? Also, how can I tell if my motherboard is dead or working. Any indications? Thank you, 10 points for best answer.

Heya Zappy, i find the autonuke (shortdod) takes a little under 6 hrs on a 500gb hdd. Using this as a baseline, think it's probable your 200gb drive will take about 3/4 hrs.

Heya Florila and yikes, you're scaring me bud. =)

It's great to build your own pc, think you could do with a bit of advice tho. For heavens sake, please don't try running what can't even be called a system with just a motherboard and psu. These are good sites for building info............................................

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/ Very good forums for specific questions on buildyourown.org

http://www.buildeasypc.com/index.htm

Back