I have a confirmed issue, any solution?

Hi perris :)

I am not sure I understand the problem you are having, your link refers to the context menu being left after an uninstall of Eraser yet you say “(I am left with less then a gig of free space)”.

I don’t understand the relationship ? :?

Overwriter said:
Hi perris :)

I am not sure I understand the problem you are having, your link refers to the context menu being left after an uninstall of Eraser yet you say “(I am left with less then a gig of free space)”.

I don’t understand the relationship ? :?

ah, I put up the wrong link

anyway, when erasing my recycle bin it hangs, each time I try to re-delete it hangs earlier

I am left with no free space on my 250 gig drive that before this process had almost 100 gigs available

I would like to search the component left by eraser and delete those to free that space now taken up by what I assume are the overwrites

Ah, I see !!! :D

Have you disabled UAC ?

Any special backup programs installed ?

Right click your recycle bin and select the windows “Empty Recycle Bin” option.

Check your free space size. If it is still full search for “~erafswd.tmp” without the quotes and then delete it if found.

You could also clear your restore points etc.

When you said Eraser “hangs” could it have been overwriting a large file ?

A few things:

• What operating system are you using?
  • What Version of Eraser are you using?
  • What file system are you using?

Please always provide information like that if you want problems to be solved quickly.

Joel

this is version 5.86.1, I am running vista, I have the user access control off, my file system is ntfs

I have no backup programs running, this exact same thing happened on my other similar box however on that box I finally got the simplest erase to complete however it did see files it could not erase, that still didn't free up the space but on reboot I believe the space was reclaimed and those files eraser could could not erase seem like they are removed

what I do run I guess unique to these two boxes you might not see on too many stems is a portable wd hardrive fromated to ntfs, that was not involved in any deletes and a thumbdrive formatted to I believe fat and configured for readyboost

my right click and empty the recycle bin shows an empty recycle bin

as soon as I am done with a particular task I will disconect the readyboot drive and try again, I am thinking that might present the conflict I am facing though I cannot for the life of me see how

will post back when done

k, so I disabled readyboost and disconected my portable hardrive and no differance, eraser hangs deleting the contents of my recycle bin and yes, windows reports there is nothing in that bin right now but eraser sees a few things to erase

which leads me to believe eraser might be seeing a protected file that windows does not allow deleted

[edit]

not likely, it has an mpg extension

Hi perris

Sorry you are having so much trouble but please stick with it as we need to know this is just unique to your computer and not a fault in Eraser.

Could the .mpg you are trying to overwrite be on a network share ?

Could Eraser be actually overwriting but it is simply taking a long time and you think it might be hanging ?

Overwriter said:
Hi perris

Sorry you are having so much trouble but please stick with it as we need to know this is just unique to your computer and not a fault in Eraser.

Could the .mpg you are trying to overwrite be on a network share ?

Could Eraser be actually overwriting but it is simply taking a long time and you think it might be hanging ?

it's not on a newtwork and I don't believe it's overwriting I believe it's hanging, there is no progress for hours, also when I it cancel the window stays up and does not go away

Hi

Download these programs.

Eraser V5.8.7-b3

Spybot-S&D 1.6

Ccleaner

Then uninstall Eraser.

Switch of restore points.

Run chkdsk/f

Use the windows cleanup utility.

Install and update spybot, then do a full scan.

Install and run Ccleaner, check everything and perform a full clean. Also perform a registry clean.

Install the new Eraser.

Reboot.

Try again.

Any good ??? :?

Overwriter said:
Hi

Download these programs.

Eraser V5.8.7-b3

Spybot-S&D 1.6

Ccleaner

Then uninstall Eraser.

Switch of restore points.

Run chkdsk/f

Use the windows cleanup utility.

Install and update spybot, then do a full scan.

Install and run Ccleaner, check everything and perform a full clean. Also perform a registry clean.

Install the new Eraser.

Reboot.

Try again.

Any good ??? :?

thanx for all the info and suggestion, am going away for a couple of weeks and will come back to this board when I return to give results of your post

thanx again

OK

Thank you for letting us know you are going away, please do come back and help us resolve your issue.

Overwriter said:
OK

Thank you for letting us know you are going away, please do come back and help us resolve your issue.

thank you overwriter, the eraser link you gave me did the trick on the first compuer I tried, I will let you know if all is well on the other one when I get a chance

and thanx for the other links as well, I have not done a complete chkdsk yet but plan on it when I do get a chance, spybot had no issues at all, not even tracking cookies and cc cleaner I had on my box already

thanx again

now that I have that sorted, I have a 250 gig hardrive which now has about 200 gigs free, about long will it take to overwrite this hardrive?

thanx in advance

Most disks do 40MB/s now sustained, so... about 86 minutes or 1 and a half hours.

Regarding the recycle bin problem it is to be expected: It seems to be a problem with the recycle bin: some files can be "deleted" without the file actually being deleted. I can't find any root cause, but the bug is open in Trac so if there's anything do update the ticket.

Joel

Back