IE shutting down attempting download

100thdeuce

I am about to recycle several older PC's so did some research and found that Eraser is considered a top product for data erasure. I followed the link to the Heidi website, but when I hit the download button on either the 32 or 64 bit file, it shuts down my IE browser. I'm running Windows XP home SP2 and IE 7.0. The page from which I try the download is:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil ... _id=567184

Any thoughts on what I may do to resolve this issue? Thx.

100thdeuce said:
I am about to recycle several older PC's so did some research and found that Eraser is considered a top product for data erasure.

Data erasure or disk erasure ?

The reason I ask is that it sounds to me as if you want to completely wipe all the data from a hard drive. If this is so then DBAN is probably more suited to you rather than Eraser. But be aware that DBAN will wipe everything from your drive and I mean EVERYTHING !

I tried the download links and they worked ok for me. Have you ever tried Firefox ?

I've got firefox and IE both running on another system in another location and find that they each have their strong/weak points. I'll try downloading from that system once I get there later this week. I had done a search to see if there was a known issue like mine and found none so I figured my problem is a one-off.

You are correct in that my immediate need is for total erasure because I'm going to drop the systems off at a recycler...so a total wipe is what I want. Thanks for the advice on DBAN.

Just thinking about it a little more sometimes right clicking and choosing (save target as) or (save link as) works better.

Sorry I forgot to provide a link to DBAN.

Back