if I don't use full erase of free space than deletions of the file tracks is useless for security

Alex88Alex

Could you please comment: if I don't use full erase of free space than deletions of the file tracks is useless for security reasons? Secure file deletion just doesn’t work reliably with modern hard drives.

Why the program (CCleaner, Privazer, Eraser) don’t have warning notification as such as in the program BCWipe?

From this issue https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/fast11/tech/full_papers/Wei.pdf I’ve found:
Conclusion Sanitizing storage media to reliably destroy data is an essential aspect of overall data security. We have empirically measured the effectiveness of hard drive-centric sanitization techniques on flash-based SSDs. For sanitizing entire disks, built-in sanitize commands are effective when implemented correctly, and software techniques work most, but not all, of the time. We found that none of the available software techniques for sanitizing individual files were effective. To remedy this problem, we described and evaluated three simple extensions to an existing FTL that make file sanitization fast and effective. Overall, we conclude that the increased complexity of SSDs relative to hard drives requires that SSDs provide verifiable sanitization operations.
---

You are attempting to wipe the following file:

This file resides on 'C:\', which is an SSD drive. Wiping selected data is not a folly supported operation on SSD drives.

BCWipe will overwrite the file but the original file dusters cannot be overwritten. These dusters will be marked for erasing later.

To ensure that your file is completely wiped, it is recommended to wipe free space on the SSD drive.

For example, with BCWipe Task Manager you could create a 'Wipe Free Space' task according to your required schedule.

Attachments

• ssd.png
    ssd.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
Back