index.dat free space

A

Anonymous

I use Window Washer to delete all index.dat files on reboot,so it claims. Anybody know how reliable this is?

Will then its unused space be wiped, simply by wiping unused space on drive C. I have xp/ie6.0. New user and novice!

index.dat

Help! To continue... After deleting index.dat files on reboot(Window Washer) I used erasure to wipe unused space on drive C, but got failers for the dat files that were supposed to be deleted. Any idea how to do this?

index.dat can only be deleted on reboot.

best option it to use 'spiderbite' OR to create a boot entry in the windows scheduler for the command line eraserl.exe to wipe index.dat.

Garrett

so you know.

First,try this Xcleaner tool from www.xblock.com.
it cleans index.dat. A way to test is simple-copy&paste your index.dat after rebooting to somewhere,[it will let you open the copy] and look inside it,basically.[opening temporarily with wordpad is a rule of thumb for me.] See if you temporary internet files,cookies and history are still there. Xcleaner is quick and good at it,I find.It also searches for spy programs and deletes anything you want,with a simple[tho non-industrial strength] wipe.
ALSO!!!!
I'm afraid Eraser,and every other program I've tried except Norton WipeInfo,DOESENT erase EVERY deleted file! There are still files left recoverable by Norton Unerase Wizard when I use any other tool for wiping free space/file slack except Norton WipeInfo.[And no,don't start off on me being paid to promote Norton,etc! I'm nothing to do with anyone else at all!
You are better to wipe over your History,Cache and Cookies BEFORE they are deleted,using Eraser's entry in your mouse's right-click column. Find the folders in "Find Files",then use Eraser to wipe em out. Then,I must admit,they do NOT appear still in the free space or file slack!

Re: so you know.

another guest. said:
I'm afraid Eraser,and every other program I've tried except Norton WipeInfo,DOESENT erase EVERY deleted file! There are still files left recoverable by Norton Unerase Wizard when I use any other tool for wiping free space/file slack except Norton WipeInfo.

It isn't that Eraser doesn't erase every deleted file. The fact is that Norton Unerase comes with a Norton version of the Recycle Bin, and the Norton version makes copies of stuff that isn't normally handled by the Windows Recycle Bin, so you have two choices if you wish to keep Norton Unerase.

1) Periodically empty the Norton Bin ( right click Windows Bin and select Empty Norton Bin), and do a free space erase.

2) Disable Norton Bin ( right click Windows Bin, properties , Norton Bin Tab )

yes,i know,i disable Norton Protection whenever I install Norton utilities or Systemworks. I'm afraid it's true,mate;- Eraser,nor any other utility for wiping free space/file slack Ive ever tried-including CleanDisk Security,BCwipe,Destroy-It,etc,ALL leave some files,[sometimes dozens of Temporary Internet Files] still there and recoverable in the Free Space! And my hard drive isn't particularly complex,and doesent move sections around as much as many others do.The files aren't just "references" to files,or already-wiped-but still-referred-to-in-the-file-table ones-they're real files,recoverable! trust me,I've been through every possible option there is,with every software program involved directly or indirectly with the issue! you really are best to erase/wipe them out before deletion,and let eraser destroy their file names with that option. hopefully somebody will examine the way Norton WipeInfo works,and either modify Eraser or write a free program that will do the same.

another guest said:
yes,i know,i disable Norton Protection whenever I install Norton utilities or Systemworks. I'm afraid it's true,mate;- Eraser,nor any other utility for wiping free space/file slack Ive ever tried-including CleanDisk Security,BCwipe,Destroy-It,etc,ALL leave some files,[sometimes dozens of Temporary Internet Files] still there and recoverable in the Free Space! And my hard drive isn't particularly complex,and doesent move sections around as much as many others do.The files aren't just "references" to files,or already-wiped-but still-referred-to-in-the-file-table ones-they're real files,recoverable! trust me,I've been through every possible option there is,with every software program involved directly or indirectly with the issue! you really are best to erase/wipe them out before deletion,and let eraser destroy their file names with that option. hopefully somebody will examine the way Norton WipeInfo works,and either modify Eraser or write a free program that will do the same.

I don't think it is Eraser that is the main problem, in this case . Becuse I have Norton SystemWorks on my PC., and as long as I , empty BOTH Norton bin , Windows bin, AND Temp Files , eraser wipes the files, I know there gone becuse I've to recover them with Norton unerase, alongside several powerful undelete, and disk editors, and all have FAILED to find traces of the files, and the few traces (12% or less) that they did find were badly corrupt. So I think that there maybe a diffrence in your setup and mine.

Win2000
128 Ram
10Gig HD

Back