Insufficient permissions - Windows 7 64 bit home edition

glerwill

Hello,
the account I log on with is an account with administrator priviledges. I downloaded and installed the program with this account. I created a new task for unused disk space with the default method. It would not run - insufficient permissions.

I then ran the program using right click, run as administrator. Same error message. The eraser options on the recycle bin are greyed out.

Please advise.

rgds

G

Ok,
cancel the numpty comment about greyed out menu choices on the recycle bin - of course there is if nothing is in the recycle bin. Saw the comment about ensure the program is not running elsewhere before trying to run as administrator. We tend to have two accounts open and running and switch between them by 'switch user'. Saw the process running for the other account and killed it. Logged off the other account as well.

Eraser now run as administrator - but still giving 'no permissions' even when all tasks deleted and and a new task created and run manually. I assume that I needed to 'run as administrator on install' as well as just running the program.

So uninstalled the program from windows as no uninstaller option seen.

now downloading again....

rgds

G

OK,
reinstalled with 'run as administrator'. Run the program as administrator. Deleted the existing task. Created new task - unused disk space. Ran the task - same permissions error message.

No other account is logged on.

killed running process again.

Eraser run as administrator again. checked only one eraser process running.

run same task

seems to execute this time............. lots of errors in the log

G

glerwill said:
seems to execute this time............. lots of errors in the log.
On drive C:, you will get hundreds. Most will be about failures to erase cluster tips on protected files. Some may be about files in use by other programs. All of these are normal; they are actually downgraded from 'errors' to 'warnings' or 'information' in the development builds. Others may be worth reporting.

I'm glad you got it to run. If you test the erase with a recovery program (e.g. Recuva), you will find that it identifies lots of potentially recoverable files, but very probably none that are of privacy concern to you. In that case, Eraser has done its job.

If you want to know what is being done to avoid all the palaver with running as administrator, you may wish to read the Eraser Architecture topic in the FAQ (link below).

David

Thanks David,
I picked up the comment from the FAQ about stopping the running eraser from the system tray rather than killing the process. Is there a way to prevent run on startup and only run when I want to?

Also - 60/70% of available physical memory is used

- windows 7 64 bit home premium
-amd athlon II x3 425 processor 2.7ghz 3gb ram

rgds

G

glerwill said:
Is there a way to prevent run on startup and only run when I want to?
A question we get at least 3 times a week! Short answer: not at present, but you can stop the process. The long answer is in the FAQ , particularly in the topics on Eraser Architecture and Getting to Know Eraser 6.

glerwill said:
Also - 60/70% of available physical memory is used
- windows 7 64 bit home premium
-amd athlon II x3 425 processor 2.7ghz 3gb ram
We've had other reports on this. On my Windows 7 x64 machine (Core i7, 6GB RAM), the normal processes (including antivirus etc.) seem to consume 1.47GB, which would be consistent with your figures. Closing the Eraser process only reduces this by about 200K. What I think is happening is that the .NET runtime remains resident, whether the program is running or not; of course the one instance of the runtime serves any program that uses the framework, so keeping it running makes sense, at least from Microsoft's perspective. It also handles garbage collection, so it should make way for anything else that is running. If that is not happening, and your machine is slowing down, that would be something to investigate further. This is also something about which Joel may know more than I do.

David

Back