Intermittent problem - cannot erase file in Eraser 5.8

jabba

Hi there. Can someone here explain why Eraser states that a file is "locked by another process" when there are no other obvious programs or processes that would be using the file?

This happens on occasion, also with Eraser 5.7 as well, and happens with any file - not just ones that are obvious to being in use, such as temporary files for example. Sometimes opening the file and closing it works, but other times it doesn't, in which case the only solution I can see to this problem is to reboot, and is a pain in the neck.

For example, just now I am trying to erase a movie file approx. 500 MB in size using the explorer shell. Yet the program says that the file is in use by another process. However, no other programs seem to be using the file, such as a movie player for example. I checked the task manager, but all I see are processes which are required for the OS to function properly as follows:

crss.exe
explorer.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
smss.exe
svchost.exe (listed 3 times, each with a different amount of memory usage)
System
System Idle Process
taskmgr.exe (obviously is shown when Task Manager is running)
winlogon.exe

Would one of these processes work with the file for some reason? Why would Eraser state that a file is in use when it doesn't appear obvious that any program or process is using the file?

Any information that can be provided is appreciated.

- Jabba

jabba said:
I beleve the number of times it is listed is related to the number of files on the computer, so the more files you have ....the more svchost.exe you will have. I have 4 svchost.exe .

Carver said:
jabba said:
I beleve the number of times it is listed is related to the number of files on the computer, so the more files you have ....the more svchost.exe you will have. I have 4 svchost.exe .
svchost.exe is unusual in that there is always more than one instance of it running on the computer. It isn't linked to a certain number of files, but rather the svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run DLL's - various services can be running under this generic name.

to answer the original query - it's possible (and this is just an educated guess) that a certain process was launched by the file you are trying to delete, and that process is still running. I've found that rebooting and then erasing is the only way around this particular problem, presumably doing this unlocks whatever process or application etc was locked prior to a reboot.

"This message was flagged as spam and has been denied."
Why? I participating in the solution to jabba issue, I have it too?

Back