Is It Stuck on "Old resident files system table files"???

phibins

I've am currently running the "wipe free space", the overwriting of files is complete. but Eraser seems to be stuck on "old resident files system table files", it has been showing that for the past 4 hours with "time left: unknown" and progress at zero %.

Is this normal, or should i kill the proses?

I am running the current stable build of ERASER (6.0.8 ), and i am on WIN7 x64.

What do you think is going on here?

PS. i do have a rather large HDD(500gb).

Re: Is It Stuck on "Old resident files system table files"??

I'd let it run for a good deal longer yet, even overnight. Erase free space can get very slow, particularly on a system drive that is fragmented; Windows can be reluctant to allow the file writes when the disk is nearly full. Also, I don't think that the progress bar is necessarily all that accurate. Are you getting disk activity when eraser seems to be stalled?

David

ok, so since my last post i killed the proses.

Long story short, i ran it again.

it ran the erasing C:\ for about 8 hours (500gb hd)
its been running on JUST "old system files and old resident files" for the past 12 hours.

Is this normal?

No, it's probably not normal. Presumably you got the sticking point from the log, so no point in asking you to look at that. When it's stuck, is the disk access light on (it should be almost continuous, not just the occasional flash)?

500GB is a fairly large drive, and will take a while, particularly if it's an externally connected USB or NAS drive and/or is not very full. However disk errors can also stall the erase, so it might be worth running a disk check before you try again. When you do so, make sure that you are using the default 1 pass erasing method (you don't need more than that), and disable your antivirus temporarily.

David

If it's been running that long, chances are that your MFT is fragmented.

Eraser fills the MFT with blank files to purge it of old records. However, with sparse MFTs, the number of files needed to fill the MFT increases. Bearing in mind that Eraser currently drops all the files in one folder which is inefficient, the erase process is bound to be slow. I believe there is already a ticket for this on Trac (can anyone help find it? My memory's kinda rusty at the moment); please file one bug if you can't find it.

TIA!

Joel said:
I believe there is already a ticket for this on Trac (can anyone help find it? My memory's kinda rusty at the moment); please file one bug if you can't find it.
I'd guess that it's ticket #370. Is that right?

David

Yup, that's the one. Thanks.

Excuse me for BUMPing this thread, but this is still a problem for me.
Has something been done about the ticket (http://eraser.heidi.ie/trac/ticket/370), or has new light been shed on this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Phibins.

EDIT: I just checked the link to ticket 370, and its broken.

Yes, Trac is down, and it is uncertain whether it will be restored; with the new server configuration following the recent compromise, costs are an issue.

The 6.1 beta builds are now available from the download page, and I am using build 2284. You could try that to see if it makes a difference (as a precaution, uninstall 6.0.8 first). Also, you can some times get better free space erasing performance if you defragment the drive first.

David

On new computer, build 2620 still have this same problem.

Back