Is there any reason I shouldn't be using r2247?

Megalith

I downloaded the latest Eraser nightly build for the secure move feature, but ended up going back to the latest stable version because secure move didn't seem to work. Unfortunately, I didn't read about the issues about going back a step---the stable version crashes upon startup now. Deleting the task file didn't work, and the crash still happened even after I ran a CCleaner's registry function. Luckily, I re-downloaded the nightly build and everything seems to work okay.

I originally uninstalled it because I was uncomfortable with having a version with a "buggy" feature, suggesting that something else could go wrong while using the program. Since I can't get the stable release working again, however, I'm going to keep the nightly build.

But is there anything significantly wrong (other than secure move not working for me) about this build I should know about?

BTW, what is the BlackBox plugin?

2247 breaks right clicking on the recycle bin and erasing it, both on 32-bit WinXP and 64-bit Win7, at least for me.

Also, 2247 won't wipe freespace on drive C, even if I launch it as administrator (64-bit Win7). But that feature seems broken on every version I have ever tried. So far, nothing has worked in Win7 for me.

Megalith said:
I downloaded the latest Eraser nightly build for the secure move feature, but ended up going back to the latest stable version because secure move didn't seem to work. Unfortunately, I didn't read about the issues about going back a step---the stable version crashes upon startup now. Deleting the task file didn't work, and the crash still happened even after I ran a CCleaner's registry function. Luckily, I re-downloaded the nightly build and everything seems to work okay.

I originally uninstalled it because I was uncomfortable with having a version with a "buggy" feature, suggesting that something else could go wrong while using the program. Since I can't get the stable release working again, however, I'm going to keep the nightly build.
You may also need to reset Eraser's settings in the Registry: Delete HKCU\Software\Eraser\Eraser 6.

Megalith said:
But is there anything significantly wrong (other than secure move not working for me) about this build I should know about?
6.2 is a development build. Things may not work as expected, it's a case of caveat emptor. The reason the builds are published are so that people can test and report bugs before a final stable is released.

Megalith said:
BTW, what is the BlackBox plugin?
A plugin which allows Eraser to intercept crashes, saving the program state and taking a screenshot, and then allowing the user to report the crash when Eraser next starts. It's like Eraser's equivalent of Windows Error Reporting.

Maxim said:
2247 breaks right clicking on the recycle bin and erasing it, both on 32-bit WinXP and 64-bit Win7, at least for me.
In what way does it break?

Maxim said:
Also, 2247 won't wipe freespace on drive C, even if I launch it as administrator (64-bit Win7). But that feature seems broken on every version I have ever tried. So far, nothing has worked in Win7 for me.
Did you shut down the running copy of Eraser before running the new instance as an administrator?

I can't erase the recycle bin with 2247 on WinXP or Win7.

If I kill the running Eraser using task manager and re-run it as administrator, I can wipe free space. I also noticed the moment I launched it, a scheduled wipe of the recycle bin executed, which it didn't do previously before it was run as admin. I think that is a bit of a problem.

Even running as admin though, right clicking the recycle bin cannot erase it. As a scheduled task it works however (but only when run as admin).

I'm using 2241 on both Vista and Windows 7 systems. I don't tend to get any 'run as administrator' problems, but I also disable UAC (and keep my security program up to date!)

David

Maxim said:
I can't erase the recycle bin with 2247 on WinXP or Win7.
Please provide the error messages in the task log.

Maxim said:
If I kill the running Eraser using task manager and re-run it as administrator, I can wipe free space. I also noticed the moment I launched it, a scheduled wipe of the recycle bin executed, which it didn't do previously before it was run as admin. I think that is a bit of a problem.
That's desired behaviour, a side-effect of killing the Eraser process. Eraser stores a schedule to determine what tasks need running. By terminating the process Eraser doesn't get a chance to save to disk what it has yet to complete.

Maxim said:
Even running as admin though, right clicking the recycle bin cannot erase it. As a scheduled task it works however (but only when run as admin).
Any error messages?

No errors when I try and erase the recycle bin via its context menu. The request just gets ignored it seems.

When Eraser is minimised and you execute the context menu erase, does a balloon appear in the notification area like when erasing other files?

Back