Log says some files couldn't be deleted, yet they are gone

MurderHeWrote

I noticed twice lately that after using Eraser to wipe the contents of the Recycle Bin, I received the message, "Task completed with errors". Upon checking the log, it stated something like, [******* file could not be deleted because it is compressed, encrypted, or sparse.]

I noticed later that some of my mp3 files were compressed by Windows XP and among the deleted files were mp3s, so I can easily understand the error message.

However, what I don't understand is this. If the task had been completed with errors saying that certain files could not be erased, then why were they, in fact, DELETED?

I know my intention was to delete them in the first place and I am happy they are gone. However, I don't understand why they disappeared if Eraser told me they couldn't be removed because they were compressed.

My assumption is that this has something to do with the Recycle Bin itself. I don't know if this is a bug or what, but I felt it had to be brought up.

Re: Log says some files couldn't be deleted, yet they are go

Good observation.

I have a hunch that this could be a way Eraser deals with the recycle bin. The recycle bin database is definitely destroyed after an erase, even with an error. I know Eraser does call the programmatic API equal to emptying the recycle bin. It is possible that this may cause the files to be deleted insecurely.

What do you think is a better behaviour? Eraser can skip the call to empty-recycle-bin, but that would most definitely leave the recycle bin in a rather weird state. Or perhaps this just needs to be better documented?

Back