Move/Erase file function

dm13675

Howdy! I am a long time Eraser user (starting with v 5.3). It's a great product! I currently use version 5.8.8. However, when I rebuilt my computer to Windows 7 64-bit, I thought I'd try the latest verson (6.0.7) of Eraser. Here's my question: When I right-click and drag a file from one window to another and then release, I get the Windows Explorer pop-up window options "Copy", "Move", etc. With Eraser v5.88 I also got an "Erase move" function too. This provided a way of securely moving a file from one location to another.

WIth Eraser 6.0.7, when I perform the same actions, I see an "Eraser" option in the pop-up, however nothing happens when I select it. Is this a bug? Is it a compatibility issue? I verified v 5.8.8 works great with Windows 7 64-bit, so I can use this until I hear back from you.

Thanks in advance for your response and for your dedication to answer user's questions.

DOUG

Firstly, I hope that you don't have Eraser 5 and Eraser 6 installed simultaneously, as that can generate errors. If you have, uninstall them both (Eraser 6 first, I think) and then install one or the other. And if Eraser 5 works for you fine under Windows 7, you are lucky; I had all kinds of trouble. Eraser 5 is no longer supported, and the help on it we can give here is rather limited.

With Eraser 6.0.7, mousing over the context menu entry should produce two options - Erase and Erase on Restart. In the Development Builds, Secure Move has been added. Eraser 6 is a complete re-write, and Joel realised that Secure Move had not been implemented too late to include it in 6.0.7.

If you wish to have another go with Eraser 6, I suggest that you read the FAQ topic on 'Getting to know Eraser 6'. It relates to 6.0.7 rather than the development build you will probably prefer, but the information is still useful for people making the transition from Eraser 5.

David

Back