Moving files across directories

nLinked

I have read in the Help file of Eraser that when you move a file across to a different drive, it should be done with Eraser Secure Move (if the file is important that is). This is because Windows simply copies the file over and then normally deletes it from the source drive.

Does the same apply to "important" files being moved between directories on the same drive though?

nLinked said:
Does the same apply to "important" files being moved between directories on the same drive though?

No because only the file location information changes, the actual file stays where it is.

Overwriter said:
nLinked said:

No because only the file location information changes, the actual file stays where it is.
I see. Does that also mean that if I have only one HDD, it doesn't matter if I erase a file from its folder or move it to the Recycle Bin and erase it there? Will there be any evidence in the original folder that the file I moved to the recycle bin and erased with Eraser used to be in the original folder?

I see. Does that also mean that if I have only one HDD, it doesn't matter if I erase a file from its folder or move it to the Recycle Bin and erase it there?

No it doesn’t matter in that scenario.

Will there be any evidence in the original folder that the file I moved to the recycle bin and erased with Eraser used to be in the original folder?

No.

Overwriter said:
I see. Does that also mean that if I have only one HDD, it doesn't matter if I erase a file from its folder or move it to the Recycle Bin and erase it there?

No it doesn’t matter in that scenario.

Will there be any evidence in the original folder that the file I moved to the recycle bin and erased with Eraser used to be in the original folder?

No.
Excellent info, thanks!

Back