Need Some Basic Elementary Steps To Follow(ERASER)

A

Anonymous

Hello, I,m afraid as much time as i spend with the PC i'm unfamiliar with the most basic of features of a WINDOWS98 O/S. I've downloaded the Eraser.zip but before i run the set-up i need to catch up on a thing or two first. QUESTIONS: (1) Where can i find the settings for the Swap File(under virtual memory?)
(2) Is there a freeware program i can use to see the results after a wipe?
(3) I won,t be exercising the Task Schedule feature at all, is this included in the setup or can i omit the file that would be used for this purpose.
(4) After reading some posts here i,ve determined ERASER should be pretty safe to use, are there any serious issues that i should be concerned with?
(5) How often can a Disc be overwritten before it begins to lose some of its performance properties?

Thanks for any and all of your answers and i apologize for the lack of the basics but i appreciate the assisstance nonetheless.

IS ANYBODY HERE TO ANSWER?

IS THIS BOARD ABANDONED FOR SOME REASON?

Eraser basics

Patience dear boy/girl -patience!
1) Goto : Start,Settings,Control Panel,System,Performance,Virtual Memory.
2) Are you talking about forensic levels?If Eraser is set up properly,you`ll probably need the CIA Or MI5/6 to fnd the data!
3) For me,it`s just there unused!
4) Very stable-so what else did you have in mind?
5) Over to Garret(Admin)? Indefinitely I would imagine!

Re: IS ANYBODY HERE TO ANSWER?

skycoms said:
No, but you could try reading the help file in the mean while. Most of your questions are already answered there.

Re: IS ANYBODY HERE TO ANSWER?

Anonymous said:
skycoms said:
No, but you could try reading the help file in the mean while. Most of your questions are already answered there.

It would have been nice to do while i was waiting for an answer, but if you read my first post then you wouldn,t have been confused to the point to suggest "try reading the help file", as i mentioned i downloaded the setup but had not installed(along with the help file)the program untill i read an answer first. In fact, i've yet to install Eraser as of this reply.

In response to the attention received.

Visitor said:
Further to Question 2 try:
"Disc Investigator"
http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html
Ok thanks for the reply(Finally) and the LINK is appreciated but i already have that prog. so it will have to do. Eraser seems to be highly heralded and is given favorable reviews by most who use this software from what i,ve determined by browsing many reports over the weeks. Personally i have no qualms. Oh by the way, thanks for verifying where the swap file settings can be found. So here is another Question you may have already addressed, but i'll reiterate in order for you to refresh those details for the ones like me who are using this for the very first time.Your answers are appreciated and well-taken.With a WINDOWS98se O/S the swap file Min is set at the PEAK of the size found from a daily routine of working applications with no Max set. Is this appropriate for allowing ERASER to do a clean wipe of the swap file? I don,t mean to keep repeating a same question scenario but am fairly young to this issue. Thanks!

Excellent First Impression

Contrary to the boys/girls remark, ERASER is been applied and i must offer this earlt review of whats been experienced. Heres the Big Problem you must correct!

Thats right! NOTHING! It seems to perform spectacularly & there are no offending issues to mention at this point. Not one. Thanks for such a fabulous software/freeware. I can't imagine how or why a software with these credentials & technology(congradulations to author/associates)can be made available in open source field. But, nevertheless many are pleased it is as i am. My early suspicions were completely groundless and based only on experiences from freeware products that all do the same exact thing but one a bit differently from the other. Now i see why i was encouraged to READ the HLP.txt !

>>(5) How often can a Disc be overwritten before it begins to lose some >>of its performance properties?

There is no limit, apart from the MTBF of your drive?

MTBF -> Mean time between failures.

Garrett

One more comparison please!

admin said:
>>(5) How often can a Disc be overwritten before it begins to lose some >>of its performance properties?

There is no limit, apart from the MTBF of your drive?

MTBF -> Mean time between failures.

Garrett

My appreciation and gratitude for your response Admin. This ERASER product and its author and associates have my support as well as praise at this point, but if you or anyone viewing this topic right now could draw some comparison between Evidence Eliminator and Eraser it would be welcomed to see the differences and how they measure up in relation to each other. I hope i'm not putting anyone at risk by mentioning competitive products, its not my intention to directly favor or discourage competing products only draw some sense on the importances each product places on the task it is designed to perform.ThankYou. And yes i am quite pleased if not overwhelmed with ERASER, not so much that i would ever have anything personally to hide, which i don't, but rather the technology deepens my enthusiasm for surfing the web in a more private comfortable manner as well as enjoying the benefits of a higher level of computer performance.

Another personal concern

I don't mean to waste space in this Forum, but i wish to do everything according to Instruction and follow the guidelines set out in ERASER. My question to this is: (1) How can i know if my hard drive is a compressed disc? I read where you are not supposed to utilize cluster tip method on compressed drives or whole disc cleanup beyond the minimal method or damage could result. Can you clarify more in detail on this for me? I use the W98se O/S .
(2) If it is safe to severely overwrite the disc, should this be performed BEFORE or After a Defrag. I remember seeing a thread in this Forum addressing this issue and a preferres sequence. Thanks.

How can i know if my hard drive is a compressed disc?
If you are not using a third-party compressing tool, then your disk is not compressed. Nowadays very few people do, so I'd say it's safe to assume your disk is not compressed.

If it is safe to severely overwrite the disc, should this be performed BEFORE or After a Defrag
As probably explained in some earlier thread, it would be best to erase unused disk space both before and after a defrag. Search the forum for details.

Anonymous said:
How can i know if my hard drive is a compressed disc?
If you are not using a third-party compressing tool, then your disk is not compressed. Nowadays very few people do, so I'd say it's safe to assume your disk is not compressed.

If it is safe to severely overwrite the disc, should this be performed BEFORE or After a Defrag
As probably explained in some earlier thread, it would be best to erase unused disk space both before and after a defrag. Search the forum for details.

Hey thanks for answering, its relieving to note that this board does have occupany after all though be it slow. After practicing with ERASER on simple file erasers everything seems peachy to this point. Now comes the Major Part that i must admit leaves me a bit uncertain yet. So allow me to prod anyone for a simple brief explaination so i can begin the procedure of Unused Space Disc Wipe with ERASER. Do you "select New Task"? Drive C:\? then "RUN"?........Is that the sequence? Don't be too alarmed at my inept ability to catch on "out of the box", i just hope to be certain that these are the steps correctly needed to Start Eraser cleaning up unused space on the drive C:\ ________________________THANKS

Personally,I`d go to MyComputer,right click "C" ,if that is your HD,and then click Erase Unused Space,first choosing any Options.

Visitor said:
Personally,I`d go to MyComputer,right click "C" ,if that is your HD,and then click Erase Unused Space,first choosing any Options.

Thanks! Spent the whole night up with Scan Disk only to show NO ERRORS.(Duh) Then early AM ran ERASER! 190 minutes to go..............GoodNight!
Well upon finishing catching up on that sleep, i opened up Disk Detective to measure the results of the wipe and noticed something i haven't found before. ??? Question marks where normally rereadable deleted files are found scrambled but readable. Quite impressive and this was not even at ERASERS full strength overwrite. Just wanted to pass along the PROOF this user personally experienced.

THANKS!

Viper said:
hi skycoms,

this page will answer most of your questions regarding erasure through overwriting:

http://www.sicher-loeschen.de.vu

greets,

viper

Quite an elightened article and clearly points out the distinctions and comparisons from what is out here. Thanks VIPER for the knowledge nod and taking the time to include the resource in your response. I am as many' very Open Source inclined and believe SoftwareAdvances are more quickly to be invented primarily thru this arena as well. :idea:

Back