Need suggestions on files to use for replacing erased files

Had a long day of work and decided to clean up my hard drives with my fav program eraser. One thing I never used is the feature of replacing erased files with another file instead of seeing zeros when deep scanning my drives to see if eraser done its job, and it does obviously. I need some suggestions on what files to use. I was thinking of just downloading a bunch of open source software, os's like ubuntu xubuntu freebsd etc. and use that. Or maybe just using one of my windows 7 folders like the inf directory or system32 directory. I dont have a real need to be paranoid about what i have stored on my HD, but I do want to know what would actually look legitimate to someone who works with comp. forensics.

Re: Need suggestions on files to use for replacing erased fi

I personally don't use this feature, as it seems to me that lawfully protecting personal data is an entirely legitimate thing to do, and I don't mind that people know that I do it. But if you want to use files in effect as camouflage, the important thing is that they merge into the background of your machine. So good files to use are those that are your machine in any case, and which reasonably might be deleted, for example because they are edited and replaced. So a few non-sensitive folders from your My Documents or My Pictures might be reasonable candidates. The Windows folders would probably be tricky if they take their permissions with them, but the software downloads could be fine if that is something you regularly do and keep a store of (as I do).

David

This makes a good FAQ entry... do you wanna pen a draft?

Will do, but I've a busy weekend, so it will be a couple of days.

David

Back