New Erasing option

Stealer

Hi, I've been using Eraser for around 4 years after switching from BC Wipe, and never, ever had any problems.

I've installed 5.84 and noticed an extra option - "Schneier's 7 Pass". I'm familiar with the other secure deletion/erase methods, but how does this work, and is it better than US DoD 5220.22-M 7 pass which I use now?

Thanx

Overwriter said:
Hi Stealer

This may be of interest to you.

I would suspect, from the info on that link, that this would be the next most secure option after Gutmann, and probably all one would need if the pseudorandom data was as good as the present One Pass Pseudorandom that exists in Eraser. Would that be correct?

Regards,

jberaser

Well IMO you shouldn't need more than 3 passes. The current GMR technology in drive heads make drives really sensitive and the magnetic fields really weak. Three passes... probably is all you need.

But don't quote me, I didn't do any research.

Joel

jberaser said:
I would suspect, from the info on that link, that this would be the next most secure option after Gutmann

Yes I would think so.

Joel said:
Well IMO you shouldn't need more than 3 passes.

I agree but as you say only for modern hard drives. Old drives and floppies etc may need more. Perhaps you may consider changing the default settings in Eraser from the Gutmann method to either a 3 pass method or even a single random pass ?

I personally only ever use a single pseudorandom pass on all settings. I have yet to learn of anyone who has recovered data from a modern hard drive that has been overwritten with a single pass of random data. Also with the use of flash drives a single pass is all that is needed as they are not magnetic.

Back