New Product - NoTrax

garrett01

Administrator
Staff member
In response to all those emails asking how to clear your tracks when using the various browsers, I have created a mini-browser.
See http://www.heidi.ie/notrax/ for details.

The general idea of this product is to have an SSL/TLS compliant browser that leaves no traces of what was browsed on the PC. It literally erases as it goes along.

Garrett

So is NoTrax a standalone browser, or is it one of those IE dependent shells (needing certain "system files" in place in order to render HTML).

Also do you have any screenshots up of it in action?

>>So is NoTrax a standalone browser
Yes, NoTrax is a standalone. It is a single EXE that is 100% independent of other systems been installed. No need for Internet Explorer or any other external systems apart from the operating system.

We have designed NoTrax to be a self contained system e.g. the SSL/TLS support and digital root certificates etc. are all part of the exe as well.

You are guaranteed that no dangerous code can get executed or that traces are left on the PC.

While browsing, the system is literally mopping up behind itself, erasing the cache files at regular intervals and it also comes with an Erase Cache button which you can click at any time to erase on the spot.

To enhance security, cache files are given random names and are encrypted using Blowfish with a unique session key; this proves useful in the event of a power failure to the PC. The cache directory name is created directly below the NoTrax Directory. It too, is erased when NoTrax is shutdown.

>>Also do you have any screenshots up of it in action?
That is been done today.

Garrett

Well it sounds good, and by the sounds of things it would probably be really good on a mofified system (98lite with IE removed) perhaps.

Remember you do not have to remove anything just install it and use
as a seperate application.

Garrett

NoTrax is a great idea, and Im off to check it out. I sort of wish I had spent my $20 Eraser contribution on a NoTrax registration instead. [:p]

quote:Originally posted by Scott
NoTrax is a great idea, and Im off to check it out. I sort of wish I had spent my $20 Eraser contribution on a NoTrax registration instead. [:p]

NoTrax isnt too bad, however it certainly isnt an everyday browser replacement for IE (yet). What I am surprised about with it is Garrant has managed to code a HTML rendering engine in such short time, and it does handle most pages ammicably. When you consider that the Mozilla programmers have taken four years and still havent got it right, it is pretty amazing.

Hah, youre right, good point. I gave it a try, and found it doesnt work with (at least some) sites that demand cookies be set. It also doesnt remember settings, and doesnt have the convenient "shift/click for new window" capability.

The main thing that keeps me from using it, though, is the fact that the very sites I want to be kept private are the ones that <AHEM> lend themselves to a "tabbed browsing experience". [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by Scott
The main thing that keeps me from using it, though, is the fact that the very sites I want to be kept private are the ones that <AHEM> lend themselves to a "tabbed browsing experience". [}:)]

He he, a nods as good as a wink to a blind man. [;)]

The problem with NoTrax and new windows is, each new window appears in a new bulky skinned interface, which really is cumbersome. Maybe somewhere down the track Garrett will add tabs or something similar. But of course we hope he doesnt neglect Eraser development in the pursuit of a few extra bucks from NoTrax. [;)]

Tabbed browsing is in the pipeline.
We are just trying to finish off another two products. Little sleep and lots of work.

Garrett

Back