New to Eraser and Vista. Program doesnt have permission

Burgess

I have never used eraser or vista before. I am trying to erase all unused disk space but when I execute that task I get a complete with errors message. The log says: The program does not have the required permissions to erase the unused space on disk. Run the program as an administrator and retry the operation. I am an administrator. I tried closing eraser and relaunching and had the same results....any ideas?

This is Vista Home Basic BTW.

You may be an administrator, but you won't be running the program as one unless you run it 'elevated'. First close any running instances of Eraser; if there is an Eraser icon in the system tray (the right of the taskbar), right-click on it, then select 'exit'. Then right-click on the eraser icon on the desktop, or in the start menu, and select 'run as Administrator'. That should fix the problem.

Hope this helps,

David

I didn't see where DavidHB's reply solved the issue for Burgess, but it helped me. I have a new PC running Win7-64 and the "stable" version (Eraser 6.0.6.1376) wouldn't run at all. The latest 6.0 nightly build (Eraser 6.0.6.1851) solves the problem, but, like Burgess, I ran into the "don't have permission" error. DavidHB's suggestion did the trick. Thanks!

rqallen said:
I didn't see where DavidHB's reply solved the issue for Burgess, but it helped me.
I think that the two problems were essentially the same. Incidentally, whether or not you experience the problem may depend on the level at which you have UAC set. After experimenting, I have turned it off. So I make sure that my machine sits behind a good hardware firewall, and has effective security software running.

David

Back