New to this kind of stuff and need help

Milk Duds

So I have Eraser 6.0.6.1376 and my computer is a Dell Dimension 8300 and I run Windows XP home edition.

Now I'm thinking about getting a new system and giving my current system away to either a charity or a friend of my girlfriend.

But on my current system I keep a lot of financial information in it that deals with personal finance and finances for other members of my famliy.

I have a back up drive in which I have already copied all of that information to. i have deleted those files and sent them to my recycle bin which I did empty. I know that people can recover recycle bins after you empty them.

So my question is that if I delete these files from the folder that they are in and then empty the recycle bin and then run Eraser to shred/wipe *on my recycle bin* are these files completely gone from my computer or can it still be buried in another part of my computer?

I could wipe the whole system but I want to give this system away and I don't have the disks to re-load windows or any of business software that I have on it and since I'm giving this computer away I would like to have the new owners have these programs.

Another question I have is that when you delete stuff from the bin its still buried in your computer so my question is that if I buy a portable back up HD to save my digital photos and Itunes folder and some of my computer games would these hidden deleted financial data files even though they are deleted would their hidden data be saved to the back up drive?

I ask this because I want these files gone and if I back up my stuff to put on my new computer I dont want to end up transfuring these files I don't want to exists anymore to my new system only to have them hidden on my new hard drive.

I just tried to wipe my recycle bin but was unable to due to it being empty. Now how do I go about wiping the stuff that I have delete from the recycle bin?

Milk Duds said:
So my question is that if I delete these files from the folder that they are in and then empty the recycle bin and then run Eraser to shred/wipe *on my recycle bin* are these files completely gone from my computer or can it still be buried in another part of my computer?
You'll need to erase the recycle bin directly; if you have already emptied the bin, you need to perform an Unused Space erase to permanently eradicate past traces.

Milk Duds said:
I could wipe the whole system but I want to give this system away and I don't have the disks to re-load windows or any of business software that I have on it and since I'm giving this computer away I would like to have the new owners have these programs.
That's the safest option, if security is your priority.

Milk Duds said:
Another question I have is that when you delete stuff from the bin its still buried in your computer so my question is that if I buy a portable back up HD to save my digital photos and Itunes folder and some of my computer games would these hidden deleted financial data files even though they are deleted would their hidden data be saved to the back up drive?
It shouldn't.

Milk Duds said:
I just tried to wipe my recycle bin but was unable to due to it being empty. Now how do I go about wiping the stuff that I have delete from the recycle in?
You'll need to perform an Unused Space erasure.

Back